Scarring from Body Lift

I have excess skin due to massive weight loss and it is recommended that I get a body lift. I did not have any surgeries, but was on medication for obesity and am insulin resistant. I am concerned about scarring on my arms. Any advice on what I can expect regarding scarring?

SCARRING AFTER BODY LIFT

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss!  I recommend all of my weight loss patients achieve their goal weight before having any cosmetic procedure.  Significant weight changes can alter the results of your body contouring procedure and increase the risk of needing additional procedures at some point.  In regards to your question about scarring, unfortunately with any surgery there is going to be scar.  How that scar will look over time depends on your body.  For my arm lift patients I place the incision along the natural crease of the inner arm to help hide the incision.  If down the road you are not happy with the scar a scar revision might be a possibility down the road.  However, I recommend my patients wait at least 6 months before having a scar revision.  I also make sure that my patients understand that even after a scar revision there will still be scar.  The goal for a scar revision is to make the scar less visible and more pleasing to the eye not to remove it completely.  Be sure to research only board certified plastic surgeons with experience treating massive weight loss patients.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Scarring with a Body lift

+1

Thank you for your question.   Scarring is a common concern with any plastic surgery procedure.   In order to provide an improved contour and shape, a scar will be necessary.   

In areas such as the arms, scars are difficult to hide.   This is where before/after photos and a discussion of realistic expectations with your surgeon are of utmost importance.  

I would not recommend surgery to your arms, unless you clearly feel the benefits of skin removal outweigh your concerns of scarring.    In many cases, these issues make more sense over time.   You may want to consider addressing the other areas first, and then see how you feel about your arms at the end.  I imagine you will think differently after seeing the changes elsewhere.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Arm Lift Brachioplasty and Body Lift Scarring

+1

Brachioplasty and Body Lift Scarring

In general, most surgical body lift procedures will leave long scars - this is because it is the only way to remove a lot of redundant skin. The scarring on your arm would be minimized by having it on the underside of your arm towards your body and is often hairline in appearance. These may fade to white or widen and stay red for considerable periods of time before they heal. Scars can sometimes be improved with topical medication or lasers but will never completely disappear. This is usually considered a worthwhile trade-off by most patients to remove all of their unwanted hanging skin and fat.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Body Lift Scaring

+1

A Body Lift , consists usually of doing a Arm Lift , Thigh Lift , and a Tummy Tuck , in most surgery's you will have a incision scar but they all fade away with time each body is different and scars differently some people have bad scaring but that could be hereditary , if you have had a scar before because of a fall or any other type of surgery you can usually with that determine sort of how you will tend to scar , but most people do in the beginning have noticeable scaring and with time it does fade eventually looking like a line of a stretch mark almost invisible. The Arm Lift scar is usually the most visible one it goes from the armpit down to the elbow, it is noticeable until certain point but it is the surgery were you also see the result the quickest , almost after the surgery you see your results which is very exciting. I think in the beginning it is hard to see those scars but time goes so fast after a while the scaring diminishes and all you see are your results and is very exciting , I personally think it's worth it the scar only lasts a bit , but the result is forever. That also goes for the thigh lift and tummy tuck the incisions are made around the body's natural contouring so they can be covered with your day to day clothing and eventually not even notice you had a scar there. 

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Scarring is multivariable

+1

Dear Charina:

Scarring is multivariable. It depends on your skin color, maximum weight loss, age, and genetics, to name just a few. Other factors that impact your scar include the surgical technique, tension of the wound and sutures used. Postoperative events that can positively impact scars and make them look better include application of compression, application of silicon strips, and application of scar creams containing silicon. Scars can also be revised if they are unacceptable though this has been extremely rare in my practice. If scars need to be revised, they can perhaps be lasered, or even the scar directly excised. Arm scars usually are well-tolerated amongst my weight loss patients. Almost all of my patients would rather get rid of the excess skin inside of their arms and live with the scar than forever live with the excess skin trapped at the arms.

Body lift scars around the center of your abdomen, hips and buttocks also heal very well. Again, very few of my body lift patients have needed scar revisions, but the options mentioned above are available should it be necessary.

Please visit my website for more pictures of arm lifts and body lifts.

Thank you,

Dr.J Timothy Katzen, M.D.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Scars after a body lift

+1

The scar following a body lift typically goes all the way around the body at the top of the hips, pubic hair line and top of the buttock.  An arm lift is also called a brachioplasty.  It involves a scar that runs along the inside of the arm from elbow to arm pit. 

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Arm lifting and scars

+1

You are smart to be concerned about the scars associate with this procedure- they do tend to spread  or experience pigment change. Scar revision surgery is often necessary/helpful.  Planning of the excision is critical- the resulting scar should be as hidden as possible. Personally, I think this scar is least visible when it ends up on the inferior (bottom) of the arm as opposed to the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles).

Only you can determine if the improvement of the contour of the arms is worth the trade-off of the scar  In your case.

Body Lift

+1

Plastic surgery after weight loss is a tread off between scar versus contour improvement.  I have done many lower and total body lift surgeries and virtually all patients have been very happy with their decision.  However, you need to select a plastic surgeon who specializes in this filed since your results ultimately depends on the selected surgeon.  Below is a link of before and after pictures of my body lift patients.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Bosy lift scar

+1

A body lift scar is usually a circumferential scar the is at the level of the unferware line, and usually heals nicely in most patients.

Body lift scar

+1

Any body contouring procedure that requires removing excess skin will involve scar.  If you get body lift, you will have a circumferential scar around your lower trunk.  Although the scar is permanent, over time, it tends to blend in with your rest of your skin color.  If you happen to develop hypertrophic or keloid scar, there are options (re-excision, peels, laser).  Also, talk to your plastic surgeon where you would expect to see the scar.  I think the improvement that you see after body lift will outweigh the presence of scar.

Sugene Kim, MD