Options for Treating Large Blue Veins on Face and Temple?

I have large blue veins that begin on the right side of the temple region, and they drag down beneath my eye, giving me an extreme case of dark circles, and I also have a blue vein beneath my left eye that also gives me dark circles. I've had this problem ever since I can remember. Im 22 years old now.

Facial veins

+4

Veins on the face can be treated with microphlebectomy, laser or injections.

Microphlebectomy is best for veins that cannot be treated by transcutaneous (through the skin) laser. It involves the physical removal of the vein. There are a variety of tools that can be used for microphlebectomy, and some involve incisions of 1mm, some larger, but typically none larger than 3mm. Typically there is a bruise, but this is short lived.

A 1mm incision typically heals with no obvious scar, especially on the face, which in general heals better than most areas of the body because of an abundant blood supply.

To truly identify which would be best for you, a consultation, or at the very least, a high resolution photo would be needed.

A good rule of thumb, is a vein you can feel, is better for MP, a spider vein, or a threadlike vein, is better treated by injection or laser. The downsides with injection or laser, is several treatments.

New York General Surgeon

Nd:YAG laser treatments to treat blue veins

+4

Hi RayHope11,

Laser treatments with a long wave Nd:YAG laser is a great treatment for blue veins. The wavelength penetrates deep enough to target blue veins while preventing damage to the epidermis which is the most superficial part of the skin. Other modalities such as the pulse dye laser are not as effective in treating these veins because the wavelength is not long enough to target these blue veins. Sclerotherapy is effective in treating veins on the legs for example, but i would advise against this since the sclerosing agent can potentially affect veins near the eyes leading to vision problems.

The long wave Nd:YAG laser is safe for use in all skin types. The treatment itself will only take a minute or so but more than one may be necessary depending on the size of the vein. It is important to note that the vein can return. Because this is a laser treatment, eye protection must be worn throughout. Some swelling around the eyes may occur, but this can be alleviated by elevating the head on several pillow.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Ritu Saini, MD

Treating blue veins around the eyes

+3

Greetings Ray~

Judging from your photo, it appears that that vessel could be treated with laser.  We use 1064 nm Nd:YAG in instances like this with excellent results.  Patients are thrilled when something that has bothered them for so long is gone.   For some of the other vessels, it may be a matter of laser treatment and/or disguising them with a filler like Radiesse or volumizing agent like Sculptra.  Look for someone with good experience treating vessels like this on the face...treating facial vessels is not the same as treating leg veins. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD

Several options.

+2

The treatment of veins in various facial areas is a very common question.  The answer has basically 3 choices-laser, surgical removal or sclerotherapy.  There are several types of laser that will work on these blue veins.  This treatment usually requires several sessions.  Surgical removal is called microphlebectomy and involves several small 2 mm incisions.  This is a one time treatment but will cause post procedure swelling, bruising and very tiny scars.  Sclerotherapy is save and should be done by someone with experience doing it in this area.  It also may require several treatments.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Large blue veins of face

+1

1. microphlebectomy - down side it leaves a scar

2. lasers

3. sclero -wouldnt recommend due to proximity to brain 

4. fillers. - you could inject fillers around veins to mask the veins

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Treating large blue veins on the face

+1

The 1064nm NdYag laser provides very good results in removing large blue veins from the face. Great care must be taken in not firing the laser within the orbital rim as severe eye injury may result.

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon