Vein Wave for Small Spider Veins on the Face and Legs

Is small Vein Wave treatment the best new way to get rid of spider veins on the face and legs? What would a series typically cost to remove small veins in the face, for instance?

Veinwave VeinGogh Thermocoagulation for Spider Veins of Face Nose Feet Ankles Legs . . . Best Treatment?

+2

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like many of the physicians answering your question have no or little experience with the Veinwave or Veingogh device.  This new FDA approved technology, also known as Ohmic thermolysis or thermocoagulation, is similar to laser in many ways. . . it uses heat energy applied to the skin to remove small spider veins.  I have found it to be extremely effective for removing small clusters of spider veins on the face, ankles, feet, or legs.  Unlike laser treatments, it is less painful, does not tend to have significant risk for scars, and can be used safely on any skin tone.  We have had great success and patient satisfaction using this technology in our vein clinic.  I tend to NOT use sclerotherapy on the face or feet, as I feel it too dangerous in these areas.  But the Veinwave / Veingogh technology can be safely used in these locations as well as the ankles. It has a specially designed probe to use on the face and a separate probe  to use on the legs / ankles / feet.  I prefer to use sclerotherapy on the legs, as it is almost as effective and sclerotherapy takes less time (which translates into less cost for the patient). But for the more difficult locations mentioned, or for veins resistant to sclerotherapy, I feel that this is a great technology.  Like every other vein treatment, more than one session may be needed and there is a possibility of some recurrence of the veins down the road that may require repeat treatments. 

If I were you, I would call around to several different vein centers in your community and see if they have the technology available.  A vein specialist should be considered.  Since it is a relatively new FDA approved treatment, many places may not yet have it available.  Be wary of a place that says "oh, we have a laser and it can do that same thing".  Although lasers have their utility in treating certain vein conditions, this is a different technology than laser and can be very useful and often preferrable over laser in many circumstances.

I hope that you found this information to be useful to you.

Austin General Surgeon

New treatments aren't always best for veins

+2

Greetings~

New technology doesn't necessarily mean it's the best available, it means simply that it's the newest. With any and all of these procedures, they are only as good as the person doing the treatments..so it's most important to find someone with a great deal of experience, preferably with a variety of modalities. If a technology is new to a practice, there is always a bit of a learning curve too. Treatments with vein-wave can be effective, but so too can treatments with sclerotherapy and a variety of lasers. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD

Vein Wave

+2

What is a vein wave?

There are two issues here

Facial red veins are best treated by laser, may need about 3 cessions with the proper laser, NOT THE DO IT ALL LASER

leg veins are best treated by sclerotherapy , Injecting the veins with salt water or othe medications, I preffer concentrated salt water

it requires 3-6 cessions

Cost for the laser or sclerotherapy is about $400 per session

Spider Veins, Leg Veins, Blood Vessels, Facial Veins

+1

Spider veins are small, thin, blood vessels visible beneath the skin. They appear most commonly on the face and legs and may look like a series of lines, tree branches, or a spider- or web-like shape with a dark center. It is estimated that they affect nearly half of adult women in the U.S.

Facial veins can be treated in 1-2 sessions. Results are immediate and healing time is minimal. Leg veins can take 2-3 sessions to treat and results can be complete within 3 months.

Ramtin Kassir, MD