A Blue Piece of Thread Coming out of Eye Incision

I had a lower Blepharoplasty done a month and a half ago in Florida. I had to go back to NJ where I live I noticed that in one of my eyes a blue piece of thread is coming out of where the incision is and a clear plastic piece of thread is coming out of the other one. Should I pull the blue one and cut the end of the clear one? Please help!.

Lower Lid Blepharoplasty

+1

From what is being described, you have a retained suture (probably prolene).  I strongly recommend that you at least contact your Surgeon, or better still take a picture and email it to your Surgeon for further guidance.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Leftover stitches--what to do?

+1

Please please get in touch with your surgeon--the surgeon who did the procedure will know exactly what each stitch was for and where it was placed.  Your surgeon can advise you how to handle this situation.  If you cannot reach your surgeon, you should see a local plastic surgeon for evaluation and management.

Carmen Kavali, MD

A Blue Stitch coming out of a Lower Lid Scar 6 weeks after Surgery

+1

Regarding:"A Blue Piece of Thread Coming out of Eye Incision
I had a lower Blepharoplasty done a month and a half ago in Florida. I had to go back to NJ where I live I noticed that in one of my eyes a blue piece of thread is coming out of where the incision is and a clear plastic piece of thread is coming out of the other one. Should I pull the blue one and cut the end of the clear one? Please help
!."

The eyelids heal extremely quickly and most surgeons remove their stitches by 6 days. Some surgeons prefer to use a buried suture IN the skin called a subcuticular or "pull-out" suture which may stay in a few days longer but is usually removed by 10 days after surgery.

I cannot think of any reason why a lower lid suture should still be present in a straight forward lower lid Blepharoplasty surgery unless it was either accidentally left behind OR it is not a Blepharoplasty stitch but an exposed stitch of a Canthoplasty or Canthopexy, a tightening of the corner of the eye. Only your surgeon would know.

Have someone take a good quality picture of both areas and send them to your surgeon before you do anything. If you cannot reach him, I would strongly recommend you see a Plastic surgeon before pulling or cutting any stitches yourself.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea