Stitches Couldn't Be Removed After Upper Eyelid Surgery - What to Do?

please I did upper eyelid surgery and my Dr used undissolved stitshes and I had to travel he told me after one week any clinic can pull them out. I went to the clinic but they could not pull the stitshes out so they cut the edges and told me they will come out. now almost two weeks my upper eyelid scars are so obvious and the stitshes did not come out. what to do?

Upper eyelid stitches that did not come out

Generally leaving tiny upper eyelid sutures does not cause a problem.  But if you are having scarring from the sutures that cannot be removed, I recommend that you consult a plastic surgeon in your area.  You may need another surgery to revise the scars and at the same time remove the sutures.  It is best to go back to the doctor who performed your original surgery.  But if you cannot, then see a plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Permanent stitches need to be removed after blepharoplasty

The stitches do indeed need to be removed, and I would only have a surgeon experienced in eyelid surgery remove the sutures (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon). If the stitches are not taken out, you may be at risk of an infection or poor scarring. I would address this issue as soon as you can. Good luck.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches should be removed

Please find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in blepharoplasty in your area. The stitches need to be removed and the long you wait, the more problematic the issue will become.

Eyelid stitches

If you have non absorbable stitches left under your eyelid skin, they will eventually work their way to the surface, at which time they will be easy to remove.  Keep an eye on the area and return to your original surgeon when you gave the opportunity.  This will not cause any permanent problem.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Permanent sutures should be removed

Dear Chah - Your sutures should be removed. Failure to do so can result in less optimal scarring as well as suture abscesses. An experienced facial plastic surgeon should be able to remove these for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Sutures Need to Be Removed

Hi Chah,

The "permanent" stitches should be taken out.  After one week the sutures are difficult to remove. See a blepharoplasty specialist to get them out.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches in upper eyelid surgery

Sutures that are not absorbable should be removed by a physician. In some instances, small segments of suture that are left under the skin may gradually be expelled by the body's normal reaction to foreign material.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD