Stitches Couldn't Be Removed After Upper Eyelid Surgery - What to Do?

please I did upper eyelid surgery and my Dr used undissolved stitshes and I had to travel he told me after one week any clinic can pull them out. I went to the clinic but they could not pull the stitshes out so they cut the edges and told me they will come out. now almost two weeks my upper eyelid scars are so obvious and the stitshes did not come out. what to do?

Upper eyelid stitches that did not come out

+1

Generally leaving tiny upper eyelid sutures does not cause a problem.  But if you are having scarring from the sutures that cannot be removed, I recommend that you consult a plastic surgeon in your area.  You may need another surgery to revise the scars and at the same time remove the sutures.  It is best to go back to the doctor who performed your original surgery.  But if you cannot, then see a plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Permanent stitches need to be removed after blepharoplasty

+1

The stitches do indeed need to be removed, and I would only have a surgeon experienced in eyelid surgery remove the sutures (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon). If the stitches are not taken out, you may be at risk of an infection or poor scarring. I would address this issue as soon as you can. Good luck.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent sutures should be removed

+1

Dear Chah - Your sutures should be removed. Failure to do so can result in less optimal scarring as well as suture abscesses. An experienced facial plastic surgeon should be able to remove these for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Sutures Need to Be Removed

+1

Hi Chah,

The "permanent" stitches should be taken out.  After one week the sutures are difficult to remove. See a blepharoplasty specialist to get them out.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Stitches in upper eyelid surgery

+1

Sutures that are not absorbable should be removed by a physician. In some instances, small segments of suture that are left under the skin may gradually be expelled by the body's normal reaction to foreign material.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD