Blepharoplasty Alternatives to Reduce Puffy Under Eye Bags? (photo)

How can I reduce or eliminate under eye puffiness without a lower blepharoplasty? I don't need extra skin removed or wrinkles erased. I find some relief from creams and home remedies but the bags remain prominent. I have severe allergies and think this is what has made my bags so prominent and permanent. I regularly take my allergy meds and avoid triggers but I still suffer daily from large bags.

There are several options here.

+1

First please recognize that you can get excellent care from several types of surgical specialists not just board certified general plastic surgeons.  I am an oculoplastic surgeon and I believe that my speciality offers the greatest depth in the area of eyelid surgery.  However you will find than a variety of specialist offer very good cosmetic eyelid surgery form area including oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and yes, general plastic surgery.  

What is the right option for you?  I think a personal consultation is the best way to answer this question.  You do have a type of localized fullness in the lower eyelids that might do very well with a surgery called an arcus marginalis release.  I would strongly advise you against letting anyone perform this through a lower eyelid skin incision.  It is possible to do the surgery from behind the lower eyelid leaving no skin scar.

I also think that you could get amazing resulting with Restylane under eye filler.  The skill of the injector is critical to get the best result.  Since you are young, I would probable encourage you to start with filler and no surgery.

Get several opinions.  Consider see my colleague John McCann in Salt Lake City. 

Blepharoplasty Alternatives for Puffy Eyes

+1

Thanks for your question and photographs.  Based on the photos that you've provided and your medical history, I think that your best option is going to be a lower eyelid lift (blepharoplasty).  Many physicians will try to disguise puffy lids by the use of  facial fillers, but this works best when there is a depression below the eyelid.  In your situation, I don't think you would be happy with the result. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in eyelid surgery for treatment options. Good luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon