I Have a Droopy Eye Due to Graves Disease, Can This Be Fixed? (photo)

i hate my face would love to find a dr to fix it my eyes look scary to me

Eyelid position and Graves disease

+1

An evaluation with an oculoplastic surgeon is critical here as the eyelid position can be affected by so many factors, including retraction or concomitant myasthenia gravis.  Achieving perfect symmetry would be difficult or even impossible, but it is probable that the appearance could be improved.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of the upper eyelids

+1

In your case with your Graves disease, the disease has affected your right eye more than your left. It would be hard to surgically get your left eye to look like your right, but you might be able to have the orbital contents decompressed on the right to allow there to be more symmetry.

Julio Garcia, MD

Thyroid Eye Disease can be complex

+1

As mentioned in other responses, Thyroid Eye Disease, often seen with Graves disease, but also with other types of thyroid conditions, usually is associated with eyelid retraction, a condition that opens the eyelids even more.

But there is another entity that is also associated with Thyroid Eye Disease  in a small percentage [about 5%] called Myasthenia Gravis that can cause ptosis, and other eye movement abnormalities. This association can complicate diagnosis and treatment plans. You should have a detailed history and examination by an Oculoplastic surgeon or Neuro-ophthalmologist, before signing up for surgery.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Graves disease eyelid problems

+1

Although it is not possible or appropriate to offer a diagnosis or treatment plan with limited information, I can tell you that Graves disease does not directly cause a droopy upper lid but often causes retraction of upper and lower lids causing the lids to open more on one or both sides. (Just the opposite of drooping).Sometimes it is one-sided and sometimes the eye itself gets pushed forward further opening the lid.

The unaffected or lesser affected eye lid may then relax because the  brain senses the retracted lid as "too high" and tries to relax the lids but the primary problem remains retraction and or bulging both of which can be surgically addressed when the condition stabilizes. (may take up to one year during which the "droopy eye may or may not retract also!). Simply raising the lower eyelid does not address the cause and may create two eyelids that are too high. (Do you really want your left lid to look like your right?

You should be seeing a doctor who treats Graves disease to monitor your eye condition as it can progress to cause visual problems even if the thyroid tests are normal and also see a surgeon who has lots of experience with eyelid problems(Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Ophthalmologist ) 

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Correcting Drooping Eyelid with Grave's disease

+1

It is essential that the correct diagnosis for your photic (sagging) eyelid be made.  Several processes may be the cause and once your cues is clarified the appropriate treatment may be chosen. 

Thanks for the question.

+1

With all due respect for Dr. Chase, I would not rush off and get ptosis surgery.  You do have left upper eyelid ptosis.  However, the right eye is proptotic or bulges as a result of thyroid related orbitopathy.  There is frank right upper eyelid retraction.  The position of the two upper eyelid is interrelated.  However, the advice to be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon is sound.  You live in a beautiful part of the country.  I recommend you consider seeing Peter Timoney, M.D. at the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

Droopy eyelid repair with Graves Disease

+1

Morning Theresa,

The answer is, yes, these things can be improved.  You really need a good evaluation with an Oculoplastics surgeon.  The "droopy" eyelid on the left can be improved.  Have you had a decompression in the past? If you've had a thyroidectomy, your Graves is controlled, and your TSI number is manageable then you'd be a good candidate for left eyelid ptosis repair.    The surgery can be done under local and in your your case insurance may cover it.  Healing time is about 7 days.  I think it could be pretty symmetric but with Graves there are no guarantees.

Have a good day

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon