Can One Get a Blepharoplasty After Fillers?

Is it possible to get a blepharoplasty after fillers? Fillers are the less drastic option so I'd prefer to see what effect they have first before I consider a blepharoplasty, but I don't know if the injection of fillers then makes surgery in that area impossible or more complicated. Note that the issues with my eyes are significant excess skin causing deep folds/wrinkles (visible even when not smiling), and somewhat sunken eyes. Both of these have only developed in the last couple years.

Blepharoplasty after fillers

+1
I find these days that most patients will try fillers such as Restylane first and reserve surgery for more difficult problems or continued aging. But, before making a decision, you should be seen by a plastic surgeon who can evaluate whether fillers would be right for your personal concerns. The right treatment is what is appropriate for you.

Eye fillers

+1

It sounds like from your description you need a standard blepharoplasty with excess skin removal and possibly some slight eyelid elevation or mild CO2 fraxel work on the lower lid.  This will solve the excess skin problem, remove your wrinkles, and even out any slight hollowing. YOU DO NOT NEED FILLERS.....This is not how a reputable aesthetic surgeon approaches this problem.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Fillers, to feather in the edges of lower eyelid bags is a popular question asked on this forum.  I want to remind everyone thinking of this option that injecting fillers into the lower eyelid area will add volume (that's what fillers do, they add volume) and as such this will make the area larger, not smaller.  The puffiness from the fat bags will remain with the fillers filling in the transition zone at the edges of the fat bags.

Temporary fillers, like Restylane and Juvederm would be the best as they are thiinner and more forgiving in the very thin lower eyelid skin.  IMHO, you should avoid Perlane, Radiesse or the permanent fillers.  Lower Blepharoplasty would be the only way to remove the fat bags.

Eyelid surgery and fillers

+1

yes , it is possible to have both.  it depends on what type of filler, how long ago you had it.

surgery may require addtional fillers.  or certain fillers like juvederm can be dissolved  or diminished before or after eyelid surgery if needed

Eyelid Surgery with Blepharoplasty after Filler Injections

+1

Hi Tretion,

Yes, one may obtain eyelid surgery after being treated with facial fillers. Facial fillers used around the eyes are typically made of hyaluronic acid, such as Restylane or Juvederm. These fillers last for several months to one year in this area.

The decision for blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) largely depends on the location and type of filler injection, and the goals of your eyelid surgery. For example, having an upper eyelid surgery with skin removal after having lower eyelid area injections are OK. However, most plastic surgeons would wait to perform lower eyelid surgery if you've recently also had injections in the same area. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can an eyelid surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and blepharoplasty

+1
From your description of your eyes I am not certain that fillers are going to remedy what is bothering you.  Sunken and hollow eyes may be improved with the use of dermal fillers by filling in some of the hollowness.  You can absolutely try fillers prior to a blepharoplasty without potentially compromising a blepharoplasty performed later on.  The excess skin and deep wrinkles that you have described likely will require either removal of the skin (unfortunately surgical) and/or some sort of treatment to tighten the skin around your eyes.  Laser skin resurfacing, Fraxel laser, or chemical peels will help with this and can be performed in the office.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler and Eyelidplasty: Not mutually exclusive

+1

Filler treatments now won't keep you from having eyelidplasty later.  Each procedure addresses different issues.  Bulging fat is treated with lower eyelidplasty.  Wrinkles are usually treated with a laser or chemical peel.  Fillers are used to reduce hollowing in the lower lid.  Combinations of these are often performed to obtain the best results.  A careful consultation with a doctor who can provide all of these treatments is the best way to determine which will be most helpful. 

Lawrence Bass, MD

Fillers & Lid surgery

+1

Every patient is unique with the appearance of their eyes and face and thus everyone has their own needs in terms of rejuvenating any given area. Both fillers, like restylane, and surgery are viable options to improve the lower lids. They can even be complementary. However sometimes one option is better then the other given your individual problems and thus both options should be discussed with your doctor.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers before blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery

+1

The fillers used in the eyelids are hyaluronic acid fillers, usually used in the lower lids to camouflage deep grooves under the eyes. These usually give a very nice result, though their effect on excess wrinkled skin is limited. You can certainly have blepharoplasty after filler injections. However, it is better if this is done after the filler is dissolved. This can be either after you wait for it to dissolve or by using Hyaluronidase injections which will dissolve the filler within a few hours.

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I have blepharoplasty after fillers

+1

The short answer is YES.  And in many cases it makes sense to try the fillers first.  I recommend only hyaluronic acid fillers around the eyes.  Sculptra is contraindicated.  Both Sculptra and Radiesse can cause lumps that are irreversible except to be surgically excised, while the hyaluronic acid fillers can easily dissolved.

You may be very pleasantly surprised to find the fillers not only fill in the hollow to camouflage lower lid bags, but they can bring fluid expansion to the skin, thereby eliminating fine wrinkles.  I would suggest having this done by an experienced eyelid plastic surgeon, not a "Medispa injector" or nurse/PA.

Yoash R. Enzer

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon