Can One Get a Blepharoplasty After Fillers?

Is it possible to get a blepharoplasty after fillers? Fillers are the less drastic option so I'd prefer to see what effect they have first before I consider a blepharoplasty, but I don't know if the injection of fillers then makes surgery in that area impossible or more complicated. Note that the issues with my eyes are significant excess skin causing deep folds/wrinkles (visible even when not smiling), and somewhat sunken eyes. Both of these have only developed in the last couple years.

Blepharoplasty after fillers

I find these days that most patients will try fillers such as Restylane first and reserve surgery for more difficult problems or continued aging. But, before making a decision, you should be seen by a plastic surgeon who can evaluate whether fillers would be right for your personal concerns. The right treatment is what is appropriate for you.

Eye fillers

It sounds like from your description you need a standard blepharoplasty with excess skin removal and possibly some slight eyelid elevation or mild CO2 fraxel work on the lower lid.  This will solve the excess skin problem, remove your wrinkles, and even out any slight hollowing. YOU DO NOT NEED FILLERS.....This is not how a reputable aesthetic surgeon approaches this problem.

Eyelid surgery and fillers

yes , it is possible to have both.  it depends on what type of filler, how long ago you had it.

surgery may require addtional fillers.  or certain fillers like juvederm can be dissolved  or diminished before or after eyelid surgery if needed

Eyelid Surgery with Blepharoplasty after Filler Injections

Hi Tretion,

Yes, one may obtain eyelid surgery after being treated with facial fillers. Facial fillers used around the eyes are typically made of hyaluronic acid, such as Restylane or Juvederm. These fillers last for several months to one year in this area.

The decision for blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) largely depends on the location and type of filler injection, and the goals of your eyelid surgery. For example, having an upper eyelid surgery with skin removal after having lower eyelid area injections are OK. However, most plastic surgeons would wait to perform lower eyelid surgery if you've recently also had injections in the same area. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can an eyelid surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and blepharoplasty

From your description of your eyes I am not certain that fillers are going to remedy what is bothering you.  Sunken and hollow eyes may be improved with the use of dermal fillers by filling in some of the hollowness.  You can absolutely try fillers prior to a blepharoplasty without potentially compromising a blepharoplasty performed later on.  The excess skin and deep wrinkles that you have described likely will require either removal of the skin (unfortunately surgical) and/or some sort of treatment to tighten the skin around your eyes.  Laser skin resurfacing, Fraxel laser, or chemical peels will help with this and can be performed in the office.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler and Eyelidplasty: Not mutually exclusive

Filler treatments now won't keep you from having eyelidplasty later.  Each procedure addresses different issues.  Bulging fat is treated with lower eyelidplasty.  Wrinkles are usually treated with a laser or chemical peel.  Fillers are used to reduce hollowing in the lower lid.  Combinations of these are often performed to obtain the best results.  A careful consultation with a doctor who can provide all of these treatments is the best way to determine which will be most helpful. 

Lawrence Bass, MD

Fillers & Lid surgery

Every patient is unique with the appearance of their eyes and face and thus everyone has their own needs in terms of rejuvenating any given area. Both fillers, like restylane, and surgery are viable options to improve the lower lids. They can even be complementary. However sometimes one option is better then the other given your individual problems and thus both options should be discussed with your doctor.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers before blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery

The fillers used in the eyelids are hyaluronic acid fillers, usually used in the lower lids to camouflage deep grooves under the eyes. These usually give a very nice result, though their effect on excess wrinkled skin is limited. You can certainly have blepharoplasty after filler injections. However, it is better if this is done after the filler is dissolved. This can be either after you wait for it to dissolve or by using Hyaluronidase injections which will dissolve the filler within a few hours.

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I have blepharoplasty after fillers

The short answer is YES.  And in many cases it makes sense to try the fillers first.  I recommend only hyaluronic acid fillers around the eyes.  Sculptra is contraindicated.  Both Sculptra and Radiesse can cause lumps that are irreversible except to be surgically excised, while the hyaluronic acid fillers can easily dissolved.

You may be very pleasantly surprised to find the fillers not only fill in the hollow to camouflage lower lid bags, but they can bring fluid expansion to the skin, thereby eliminating fine wrinkles.  I would suggest having this done by an experienced eyelid plastic surgeon, not a "Medispa injector" or nurse/PA.

Yoash R. Enzer

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty after Filler Treatment

It is only the sunken aspect that can be improved with fillers; excess skin will not respond. It is certainly to perform blepharoplasty after filler treatments to the same area. This is most commonly the case in the lower eyelids. The "normal" fillers used in this area are hyaluronic acid based injectables such as Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane. I prefer to desolve this filler material first so that I have an exact understanding of the anatomy and plan the blepharoplasty accordingly.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon