Would Eyelid Height Worsen During Mullerectomy Recovery Period?

I had mullerectomy 8 days ago and I was able to see the results a day after the surgery. Unfortunately, while I was asleep 2 days ago, I accidently rubbed my operated eye and felt pain right away. I was more swollen the next morning and the lid drooped to the before surgery position. The swelling went down after I used ice but the lid did not go up. I went to see my surgeon and he said the stitches did not break. Did my rub damage the healing tissues therefore compromise the results permanently?

More lid droop after eyelid surgery

+1

It is certainly normal to see the eyelid droop more after Mullerectomy (aka, Muller Muscle Resection, Conjunctivo-Muller Muscle Resection, Putterman Procedure, Posterior Ptosis Repair) in the first week after surgery.  This is due to swelling, which creates a mechanical heaviness to the lid.

There are different ways of doing this procedure.  All involve placement of internal stitches.  Some doctors use ones that dissolve, and others place sutures that need to be removed (usually within the first week).  If your doctor placed the sutures internally, it would be hard to know if they broke.  So it is difficult for someone in this forum to answer your question.  At this point it is certainly reasonable to give this a few more weeks to see if the lid rises to a normal level.  If not, either the procedure can be done again, or your doctor may suggest doing a levator resection through the skin.  Time will tell.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyes after mullerectomy

+1

There is no way to tell at this time if there has been any permenant damage. Your surgeon has reassured you that the sutures are intact. If after 6-8 weeks, you do not see the expected improvement, you may need a revision procedure. At this point just be patient and obviously, avoid any traction or pressure on the surgical site.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon