Is Jowl Swelling After Blepharoplasty Normal? (Photos)

I had a lower transconjuctival blepharoplasty with fat repositioning along with a primary rhinoplasty three days ago. I expected the swelling that has come since, but was NOT expecting the location of the swelling - in the lowest part of my face. It's like my face is filled with fluid that settled downwards giving me insane low-set chipmunk cheeks. Is there a problem here? My doc seemed unconcerned but of course I'm freaking out. Is this swelling from the bleph or the rhino?

It is completely normal!

+2

Your rhinoplasty is the cause of the jowl swelling.  You will reach max swelling typically by day 5 and then watch as it reverses itself.  Staying cool and using a cool compresses will help this resolve.  Keep your salt intake low and your protein intake high.  You can relax and just enjoy watching your progress.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lower face swelling

+2

The swelling is as likely if not more due to the Rhinoplasty with osteotomies as it would be due to the lower Bleph procedure. Genle compression, keeping the head elevated and possibly a short course of medrol dose pack can help expedite the resolution of post-operative facial swelling but frankly, it will likely resolve spontaneously in a about a week if you avoid physical exertion. Be patient. Nothing appears abnormal or worrisome at this point.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery

+2

It is actually quite normal. The swelling is from both the rhinoplasty and the lower lid blepharoplasty. In the 2-3 days following either surgery, swelling moves down the face under the effect of gravity. It will likely move down your neck next. It will surely disappear, most likely in the next 3-4 days. Don't be alarmed. Mark Samaha, MsC, MD, FRCSC

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl swelling after blepharoplasty

+2

It is not unusual to have swelling in the lower part of the face with a Blepharoplasty.  Keep your head elevated and this should resolve quite quickly.  Don't freak out.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Multiple procedures may increase swelling

+1

In my post-operative instructions to my patients, I explain that if there are multiple procedures performed in the same anatomic area (in your case the central face), that patients may expect to have increased swelling and sometimes bruising.

Studies show that at 7-10 days the results are similar to more isolated procedures. For most people, it is a prudent choice to do multiple procedures at the same setting as long as they are healthy.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Jowl Swelling After Blepharoplasty Normal?

+1

From the photos, that you provided, you seem to have undergone mutiple plastic and cosmetic surgeries together that increase the swelling to the face including the jowls.  You should discuss this with the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery and Rhinoplasty.

Blood can travel down

+1

The response you are seeing is not unusual. Very often blood and fluid can travel down the face. This does not mean your surgery was in anyway unsuccessful. If these findings do not resolve soon you should consult your physician. All the best

Ebby Elahi, M.D.
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid or nose surgery

+1

don t be concerned..  swelling will move to the lowest point by gravity,  in this case  your jowels.

this may be more from the nose surgery.

most will resolve in 3-4 days..   ice and elevation help