Bleaching Cream Prior to Fraxel Restore Question?

Is there a "waiting time" you need to go to fraxel after putting on the bleaching cream? I've put bleaching cream on for a month and stopped and its been another month now and i want to go to my second session of fraxel. Will the cream be ineffective due to the long period of time i stopped using it? Or is meant to use it one month just before you go to fraxel?

Brighten Lighten and Tighten with Fraxel and Skin Brightning Creams

+1
All skin tones should use a skin brightner or bleaching agent prior to Fraxel. Generally you would want to start 3 to 6 week before treatment to prevent any post inflamatory-hyperpigmentation. Depending on your provider they may have you use it up until the date of treatment, however some may ask that you stop 3 - 5 days prior to treatment. During the post treatment period patients should be off of any active or stimulating products for 5 - 7 days. If you have not used your bleaching cream for a month the benefit of usage will have disipated. 

Bleaching cream prior to Fraxel

+1
Bleaching creams can be beneficial prior to laser resurfacing to minimize the chance of hyperpigmentation after the procedure. We often consider using a course of hydroquinone before the treatment in patients who have some color to their skin since they are at higher risks.

Each physician had a different approach-
I would highly recommend discussing this with your physician prior to treatment.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleaching cream before Fraxel?

+1

Hi ET.  This depends on your skin type, the procedure you are undergoing (how aggressive, which type of Fraxel) and your practitioner's opinion.  Without knowing you, the procedure and your skin type, we would not be able to say whether we would recommend a bleaching product before laser.  In our practice it is rare that we would prescribe hydroquinone for this issue.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Bleaching Cream with Fraxel

+1

Check with your provider, but in my practice you would be fine.  Our use of bleaching creams varies patient to patient based on skin type, the condition of the skin and time of year.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon