I Had Bilateral Otoplasty Done Just over Three Weeks Ago and I Have Swellings in Conchal Bowels Both Sides (photo)

There is also an extra fold in my right ear - I was not warned of this before my surgery - will this improve with time or is this permanent.

Otoplasty and swelling in both conchal bowls after surgery

+1

3 weeks is still early and the swelling will likely come down in a few months. I would suggest waiting at this time and maybe even for a total of 6 months where you will get 90% of your healing approximately. If this still doesn't resolve it could entail excising some of that skin out to help it lay down,etc.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after otoplasty

+1

Swelling and some irregularities after surgery are not unusual in the first two to three weeks isn't unusual but these additional folds I see here are a little curious.  I would definitely have your PS take a look at them this week.  This could need a little change but remember, after surgery time is almost always your friend.

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling /Skin fold in the Ear Conchal Bowl after Ear Pinning Surgery

+1

Otoplasty, or cosmetic reshaping of the ear(s), is done by combining several surgical techniques depending on the patient's presenting ear shape. Common to many prominent ER deformities is an ear (pinna) which is rotated and overly projecting forward, a very high and deep  concha (the cup just adjacent to the ear canal), an indistinct antihelix and an often missing superior crus ( the upper limb of the Y shaped antihelix). Aside from rotating the ER back to the he'd, the concha has to be made more shallow. This can be done by either removing a cartilage sliver of the Conchal rim from the back or by doing so. Another ways is to remove the sliver with a smaller amount of skin through the front. The edges of the smaller Conchal rim are stitched together as are the skin edges. 

In your case it appears the sliver was removed through a posterior incision and the cartilage removal resulted in an apparent skin excess.

Lou should see your surgeon to make sure there is no fluid under the skin which may suggest an infection.