Do I Need Revision Otoplasty or Is It Not Worth It? (photo)

I did otoplasty 1.5yrs ago.My doctor did what I asked him to: pinned the ears back but I wanted them to show a little bit,I didn't want people to notice the otoplasty. Strangely,I look in some mirrors and I like how my ears look and in others I don't like them.I don't know why I still have this issue with my ears. Is it worth it to do a revision otoplasty? Will this 'weaken' my ears long term?I do Jujitsu and don't want this to be comprmise training. I attach photos.Please give me your opinion

Revision Otoplasty?

+2

I think the pictures show a very good result and I would strongly recommend that you avoid further surgery.  This result may not be perfect in your eyes, but please remember that the enemy of good is perfect.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision otoplasty is probably not "worth it" in your case

+1

I agree with the previous posters - you have a very nice, very natural result. I doubt revision surgery will improve an already excellent result, and you may encounter unexpected problems. Enjoy your great result.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear surgery revision. . .and Jiujitsu

+1

Hey Georgie12

Leave your ears alone!

1.  The really look very natural

2.  It's not worth the money.

3.  I roll as well.  I can tell you that the scar tissue in your ears is about 80% the strength of your normal (unoperated on) tissue.  If you love Jitz, leave the ears alone.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Otoplasty Revision Worth It?

+1

Based on your photos you have a reasonable otoplasty result. There is a hint of slight overcorrection of the middle portion of the mid-helix, but it is a very acceptable result. Given that it is very difficult to unfold ear cartilage, any efforts at trying to undo it may not be stable or worth it afterwards. I would advise that you leave your otoplasty alone.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Otoplasty Revision?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on the pictures and your description,  I do not appreciate significant ear asymmetry; I would suggest that you leave them alone.

Ottoplasty

+1

You look good and natural.

The right side may be a little more protruded. The distance from the skull to the top of the ear is about 2.5 cm the distance from the middle of the ear to the head is 1.5 cm

Revision Otoplasty

+1

Otoplasty can be difficult to revise and achieve symmetry, and may lead to further frustration. Try to be objective, look at a few pictures of yourself, and ask yourself if your ears draw attention. If they are blending into your face- leave them alone.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Otoplasty?

+1

I agree with the other posts.  Your ears look good.  Much improved from the pre-op photo.  No need for the expense, risk, and recovery of another procedure.  

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

This operation could be the most satisfactory surgery for the patient and the surgeon or otherwise. The reason I believe is due to tremendous psychological affect it has had on the patient as a child which has made the patient supersensitive and over conscious about their ears. From the pictures you have posted, your ears look perfectly normal and symmetrical although this is not seen normally. But the question is if you can convince yourself that they are normal? Good luck

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision otoplasty

+1

It is difficult to get a good picture of how far your ears stick out from the photos.  I would guess not much.  A single photo from the front would be a better photo.

From the photos you sent, I would not not redo the operation.

Your ears look good.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon