Ask a doctor

How Can I Reduce my Ear Size Without a Surgery?

How Can Reduce my Ear Size Without a Surgery

Doctor Answers (11)

Surgical Treatment is Best for Treating Prominent Ears


It’s not unusual for patients to seek alternatives to surgery when they have ear deformities.  Unfortunately none of these treatments are effective in treating prominent ears.

In the first few months of life ear cartilage can be remodeled, but after two months ear cartilage molding is no longer effective.  When prominent ears are present, setback otoplasty is the only effective treatment available.

If you’re concerned about prominent ears, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for you.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Reducing ear size without surgery

In the adult with protruding ears, otoplasty is the standard method. At this point molding and shaping are not known to work. Many adults are coming in to have their ears addressed nowadays. The surgery is usually very well tolerated.  Best to see an experienced surgeon. Ask questions and look at his/her photos.

Jeffrey Roth, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

How to Reduce Ear Size


Reducing ear size, or better, having the ears less prominent, is done with a surgical procedure known as otoplasty.  This procedure reduces ear prominence with the reshaping of the ears and reduction of excess cartilage and skin.  

A baby born with prominent ears can be treated without surgery in the first few months of life using shaping molds.    However, once the cartilage has aged a bit, the ears are not possible to reshape without a surgical procedure.

Stephen Bresnick, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

You might also like...

Otoplasty reducing the ear size without surgery


This is not really possible. The only time this is possible is the first month of life when the ear is moldable.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

There is no Effective Way to Reduce Ear Size without Surgery


Hi there-

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the reality is that things that sound too good to be true still are...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

Reducing Ear Size


Reducing the size of the ears without surgery isn't possible. Reduction requires removal of cartilage and or skin, both of which require surgery.

Benjamin Dunkley, DO
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

The Size of the Ear CANNOT be reduced without Surgery


Reduction of the ear and pinning back of the ear both require permanent modifications of the cartilage framework. Such modifications require surgery.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Ear Surgery


Dear Patient,

Whether you want your ears pinned back or reduce your earlobe size, you will need a surgery. If your concern is general anesthesia (being put to sleep for your surgery), you can have both of these procedures done under local anesthesia (you can be awake during both of these procedures). You can consult your physician on what option is best suited for you.


Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Non-surgical Otoplasty


Dear patient,

There are several surgical techniques available to reshape ears, they are collectively called otoplasty. Whether it is a complex otoplasty or a minimally invasive technique all require incision. There is no non-surgical technique available to reshape ears or reduce ear size. Good luck. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 101 reviews

Ear reduction requires surgery


There are no non invasive methods to reduce your ears. You will need surgery to accomplish your desire! And will leave scaring that may be minor or result in unsightly scars! Best of luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 83 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.