Age 18, 46DD - Should I Get a Breast Reduction?

I Am 18Yrs Old And I Wear A Size 46DD Bra And I've Had A Baby..I Have Problems With My Breast Such As Back Pain,Shoulder Pains Ect And I Am Very UnHappy And Embarassed Of Them...I've Been Puttin Some Thought Into Breast Reduction And Have Even Started To Look For Dotors Am I Making It More Than What It Really Is Or Are My Breast Really Too Big??

Breast reduction

+2

The symptoms you are describing are very common for patients seeking breast reduction.  Breast reduction surgery is a wonderful surgery to help improve the problems of back pain, shoulder strap problems, neck pain, and rashes. The operation is an outpatient operation which means that you will go home the same day. Most people return to work in about 2 weeks, some go back even sooner for a sit down job. You will need to wear a bra for about a month. Before you know it, you will have wonderful perky breasts and you are confident about and allows you to do anything you want without pain.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+2

Undergoing surgery to reduce your breast size is a personal choice. If you are asking "Do you think I am a candidate for a breast reduction?"  I would say that you look quite large and appear to be  good candidate if you are medically in good condition.

The Need And Timing Of Breast Reduction Depends On Many Factors

+2

Based on your pictures and your musculoskeletal symptoms, it would be reasonable to say your breasts are too big for you. Whether you should have a breast reduction now or later would be primarily based on how bad your level of discomfort is and your future pregnancy plans. Breast reduction can make breast feeding difficult or impossible and this may be a concern for you. There is also the impact on the shape of the breasts after surgery that future pregnancies will change if done now. Balancing all of these issues will determine the timing of a breast reduction that it appears you most certainly would receive considerable benefit from having done.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Reduction

+2

Breast reductions do require some thought and planning.  You said that you have had a child. How recently? Do you plan on having others? How important is breast feeding to you?  The answers to all of these questions influence whether you are ready for a breast reduction.  I have found that young patient are more likely to eventually need a secondary breast reduction later, especially if they go on to have more children after the first reduction.  Additionally, we know that patients who have a reduction have a lower ability to breast feed.

Given the above, if you are having significant symptoms from your large breasts then you should consider it.  Some of my most happy patients are breast reduction patients.  Do your homework and find a surgeon in your area that you are comfortable with then weigh your options and do what feels right to you.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You Would Benefit From a Breast Reduction

+1

Your symptoms and pictures strongly suggest that you would benefit from breast reduction surgery. This procedure has the potential to improve quality of life and has long term health benefits as well.

Most patients with breast enlargement complain of difficulty with back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, rashes and pain within the breasts themselves. They often have decreased exercise tolerance and as a result gain weight elsewhere. They have difficulty finding clothing that fits properly and they feel that people stare at them. This adversely impacts their self image, self confidence and self esteem.

Correction of breast hypertrophy is a life changing experience. Symptoms improve, clothing fits properly, exercise tolerance improves, patients lose weight elsewhere, and self esteem improves following this procedure.

The majority of patients feel that breast reduction surgery has improved the quality of their lives. Older patients, who undergo this procedure, often comment that they wish that they had undergone the procedure when they were younger.

If you’re considering breast reduction surgery, it’s important that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this procedure. This surgeon should be able to make appropriate recommendations regarding your specific situation. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Age 18, 46DD - Should I Get a Breast Reduction

+1

From your photograph and symptoms it appears you would be a candidate for a breast reduction.  I recommend that you see a board certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation and to send a letter to your insurance carrier for precertification.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast Reduction Candidate

+1

While the photograph and description suggests that you will be a candidate for a breast reduction, a surgeon should review lifestage issues such as your desire for future pregnancy which may impact the results. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to review your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Is an 18 year old with 46DD breasts a candidate for breast reduction?

+1

You are a 46DD and are experiencing considerable symptoms associated with your enlarged breasts. Your photos clearly document their massive, disproportionate size. Therefore, you would be a very good candidate for breast reduction surgery (provided you are at least 6 months post-partum).

If your weight changes later on or you have more children, there is a possibility that you may benefit from a second breast reduction if they regrow. However, you will have at least had alleviation of your symptoms for that intervening period of time.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD