I Am a Healthy 85 Year Old. I Want (And Need) a Breast Reduction.

I am 5' tall now-and weigh 121(probably 10 lbs are my breasts) i wear a 32 DX size bra.

Breast Reduction for a 85-year-old?

+1

Chronological age is not a contraindication for the procedure. See your internist prior to surgery and obtain a medical workup to make sure you are fit for the planned procedure.

Hopefully you will be cleared for surgery and undergo a safe/successful procedure.  Hopefully, your only regret will be not having had it done sooner.

Breast Reduction on a Healthy 85 year old Woman

+1
Operating on people over age 75 for cosmetic reasons is feasible but should be done after fully ascertaining their suitability for general anesthesia. For your safety, I would like to see a normal cardiac stress test and cardiologist clearance. With a normal stress test the risk of performing an elective operation on you would be greatly reduced. Dr. Peter Aldea

Elective cosmetic surgery in an older individual

+1

I have performed this procedure on a healthy 90 year old. Some risks of anesthesia are increased with advancing age but these are primarily related to your overall health. Your surgical risks and health should be evaluated by your primary care physician and any conditions such as hypertension such be optimized prior to anesthesia.

By All Means!

+1

If you are a healthy woman, breast reduction is certainly something you are able to undergo. Consult with a plastic surgeon who can discuss the procedure with you and give you insight as to whether there may be insurance coverage.

George Sanders, MD

Breast reduction in older aged patients

+1

Having a breast reduction after age 60 is not that unusual. Assuming your health is good and your symptoms from the large breasts are significant, it would be good to discuss with your primary care doctor who knows your medical history. You may want to be prepared for Medicare not covering the procedure (as happened to my only 80+ year old patient who had this procedure done) so make sure your primary care doctor and plastic surgeon document all symptoms and physical exam findings.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction in Elderly Patients

+1

Although I have never performed a breast reduction on an eighty-five-year old, I have done reductions on several Medicare patients in the past.  If you are in good health and are otherwise a good candidate for this surgery, there is no reason that you should be denied.  One problem is that Medicare will not pre-authorize this or any other procedure.  Therefore you should discuss with your plastic surgeon whether or not he/shr thinks that your procedure will be covered or you must be prepared to pay out-of-pocket.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction Can Be Performed At Any Age

+1

When it comes to improving the musculoskeletal discomfort from the weight of large breasts, breast reduction can be performed at any age. The improvement in your back pain and posture may well be remarkable even at this point in your life. As long as your doctor clears you for the procedure, I see no reason why you should no enjoy the benefits to your health and comfort that a breast reduction can bring.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

85 year old for a breast reduction

+1

This is an unusual request at your age, but if you are healthy and desire smaller breasts it certainly is possible.

+1

Please contact any of us Miami PS. There are over 50 boarded Plastic Surgeons in MIAMI alone. It may be covered by medicare. Regards Dr. Blinski