Best Way to Get Rid of Smoker Lines on Upper Lip?

Am not really a big smoker, just socially on weekends at most. That has not stoped smoker lines from showing on upper lips area. What can I do to repair besides stop smoking? Botox perhaps?

Fraxel re:pair for smokers lip lines gives long lasting results. Update: try Belotero too

+8

I use Fraxel re:pair for correcting upper lip lines.

If done as an isolated procedure, it can be done in less than 5 minutes with minimal discomfort, and no need for oral sedation or pain medication.

Sometimes, 2 treatments might be needed, but I have had good results with just one aggressive treatment.

Results should last about 5 years. You will have redness up to 2 months.

This is a very cost effective, and in my opinion, better-looking result, particularly for the deep lines.

I have recently found that Belotero works fairly well for correcting these smokers lines.  I mix with lidocaine on use topical too.  I find that most people will bruise, but I use the VBeam to help the buising resolve faster.

Combination approach to smokr lines work best!!

+5

Smoker's lines around the lips are often a result of both direct damage to the skin from the smoke, causing vertical lines, and volume loss with aging.

I advocate a combination approach to improve the lips without ending up looking like a duck. I believe that filler material can be used to revolumize the lips and then the vertical lines can be treated by dermabrasion or laser resurfacing to "sand down" the wrinkles. I have used this combination of methods successfully many times.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Filler, Botox

+3

Fillers are the single best treatment for this problem. I like the underutilized Cosmoderm since I can go very superficially and not worry about the blue bleb that the hyaluronic acid fillers can create. There are a few tricks her that the experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon can utilize. Run the filler along the vermilion border. Just a touch to prevent trout pout look. Go, not only up the line but also perpendicular to it. Be sparing,using microdroplets.

A bit of Botox in two injection sites just above the lip margin also helps.

Finally, do not drink with a straw. Also notice whether you might be drinking too much from water bottles. This causes you to purse your lips. Many of my patients, who complain about smokers lines, do not smoke at all. However, they nod in the affirmative when I ask them whether they drink from the ubiquitous water or soda (tonic for my Brockton area homeboys) bottle. To remedy this problem, drink from a wide mouthed bottle or pure your drink into a glass.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Options for "smoker's lines"

+3

Despite what many people believe, smoker's lines or vertical lines above the upper lip are quite common regardless of whether or not someone smokes. This muscle is quite strong and works like a purse string effect. We usually recommend a treatment plan that combines more than one modality. Using small doses of Botox will help relax the underlying problem--an overactive muscle.

Unfortunatey, the effects wear off within approximately six weeks. Using cosmetic dermal fillers is a nice option with or without Botox and offers more longevity. The technique for fillers above the vermillion border is important to provide a natural, appealing appearance. Laser resurfacing is also an excellent treatment to improve the texture of the skin.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Smoker lines treatment options

+2

“Smoker lines” are actually possible whether you smoke or not. Smoking breaks down the production of collagen which increases the appearance of wrinkles, so it’s good to avoid smoking altogether. But it’s not the only cause of these lines. Time, age and sun damage can also contribute to these wrinkles.

For the small, vertical lines above the upper lip, a filler such as Juvederm may be a good option. Because of this filler's smooth consistency, it works well to fill these lines in and improve the appearance.

Sometimes a combination of fillers and treatments like Botox or Dysport are a better option depending upon your situation. Botox relaxes the muscles underneath, which is part of the cause of the wrinkles in the first place. However, either Botox or Dysport should only be injected into the lips by someone who is highly experienced in this treatment.

Another option would be to have a surgical dermabrasion procedure to this area. The dermabrasion procedure works by modifying the deeper layers of the skin, which then become smoother. You can then plump up the lips with a filler to volumize and achieve very pleasing results. As always, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and allow him or her to advise you as to the best treatment options based on your unique situation.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Botox or Dysport can be used in the upper lip for Smokers Lines

+2

Dysport or Botox can be used on the upper lip, and is a wondeful way to help in softening the wrinkles in that area. Unfortunately our collagen becomes broken down the older be get and the more we expose ourselves to free radicals such as pollution and smoking, perhaps a combination of Dermal filler and Botox/Dysport would be favorable, but it is hard to say without seeing your actual face. Visit with creditable doctors in your area for consultations to find the best fit for you.

Good Luck.

Sofia Rubbani, MD
Manhattan Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of lip lines

+1
The upper lip is one of the most difficult areas on the face to treat.  I try to discourage the concept that any one thing can completely fix this area.  I use a combination of a small amount of neurotoxin such as Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin for softening of contraction in this area, moderately aggressive resurfacing laser, and a small amount of filler such as Juvederm Ultra, Bolotero, or Restylane.  I tell my patients that all of these will need to be repeated to keep up the result and maintenance in this area.  

Jennifer Janiga, MD
Reno Dermatologic Surgeon

Lines on upper lip

+1
Fine lines on the upper (and lower) lips are a very common complaint.  Treatment depends on your lip shape and depth of the lines/wrinkles.
Botox or Dysport can both help soften the lines but won't get rid of them completely.  A newer filler called Belotero is something that I find works well for these lines.  Belotero is a little less viscous than some of the other hyaluronic acid fillers so works well in very fine lines.  It can also be placed in the lips without volumizing too much.  This is ideal for people who don't want their lips to appear too full or duck like, but do want some filling of those fine lines.
Another good option would be a resurfacing laser like the Fraxel laser, or the CO2 laser. 

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Best Way to Treat Smoker's Lines

+1
Smoker's lines are not actually caused by smoking. They represent attachments between the skin and muscle, and loss of fat (from weight loss or age) and decreasing skin thickness (from sun exposure or smoking) make them more visible.

Treatment includes a combination of approaches, including filler, neuromuscular toxins, and resurfacing. Fillers, like hyaluronic acids or fat, can replace lost volume, but for deep wrinkles, using a filler alone can lead to "duck lips".

Neuromuscular toxins, like Botox or Dysport, can minimize muscle motion, but they should be used with caution since too much can cause not only an unnatural appearance but also problems with drinking and speaking properly.

Finally, resurfacing with procedures like peels and laser can also improve the appearance. More intense treatments (deeper peels, dermabrasion, and ablative lasers) work best, but they also have the longest downtime and highest risk of pigmentation problems, especially for darker skin types.

A board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist can guide to to the best treatment for you since it is very individual.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Treating Smokers Lines

+1
These wrinkles that form around the mouth, can develop regardless of whether you are a smoker. The first way to avoid further formation of these lines is to stop smoking, if you currently smoke. Obviously you already know how important it is to stop smoking. It makes you age prematurely and of course causes lung cancer. 
For treating these lines around the lips, I recommend relaxing the lip muscle slightly with a neuromodulator like Botox or Dysport. If the lines need more improvement then a thin consistency hyaluronic filler can be placed to fill out the lines.
Laser treatments can be performed to blur the lines and build collagen in the areas around the mouth, and reduce the appearance of smokers lines. This will help to smooth the lines around the mouth. 

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon