What Will Minimize Pain Before Future Fraxel Treatments?

I already have my first session and it was so painful. I am wondering if there is something I can take before my next session to make it less painful.

Minimize Pain for Fraxel Laser

+2

Sorry to hear about your pain. In our office, we use a 5mg Valium and a 30% lidocaine cream applied 1 hour before lasering and have few complaints of pain.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Method to Minimize Pain Before Future Fraxel Laser Treatments

+2

Hi Ana,

Sorry to hear that your first Fraxel treatment was so painful.  Fraxel laser treatments should not be painful.

The best thing to take to minimize pain before your next treatment is a plane flight to Los Angeles.  At our clinic, Fraxel treatments (Dual, restore, repair) are not painful due to proper analgesia. 

Depending on the type of Fraxel treatment, and whether it is true Fraxel and not an imitator, various types of analgesia can be given to patients to keep them very comfortable during their treatment.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel should be painless

+1

We use a  very strong topical anesthetic applied to the entire area before Fraxel treatment.  The topical anesthetic is extremely expensive.  Perhaps your doctor used a weaker, cheaper anesthetic for the procedure.  Also, the anesthetic should be applied and left on for one full hour.  For more questions about anesthetics, you can also contact the Fraxel company as well.  I am sorry your procedure was so uncomfortable.  One of the true pleasures of the Fraxel laser is that it is not painful.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fraxel Restore laser resurfacing can hurt and anesthetic cream helps

+1

Most patients tolerate the Fraxel restore laser very well, especially the newest model which has cold air blowing on your skin to help decrease pain.  Anesthetic cream is applied in our office to the skin that will be treated for 30- 60 minutes prior to the procedure.  Very rarely, some patients need a pain killer or anti-anxiety medication but I usually do not recommend an antiinflammatory medication (such as Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Alleve,etc.) as the inflammatory reaction is desired and helps build more collagen.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Minimizing Pain Before Fraxel

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you had a Fraxel Restore Treatment since you are considering another treatment.  Fraxel Repair is usually only a one time treatment unless you have significant wrinkles or acne scars.  For Fraxel Restore, it is a comfortable procedure if you use the right topical anesthetic for one hour before along with a xanax and occasionally an intramuscular shot of demerol.  We always ensure our patients have a designated driver if they had the xanax and demerol.  

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel anesthesia

+1

There are many types of anesthesia that can be given for any laser treatment. I have found that the best treatment is topical betacaine/lidocaine/tetracaine combined with nerve blocks. There is still some discomfort but most patients say that it is not bad enough not to do again. But everyone has a different pain tolerance and IV sedation or general anesthesia are always options.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon