Sun After Fraxel?

I've done Fraxel in the middle of February. my skin recovered very fast. I have never had hiperpigmentation after Sun. In the end of May I'm going to Egypt. Can I spent some time on the Sun ( with Sun protection cream ) or should I avoid Sun at all? Help me please !!

Exposure to the sun after your Fraxel treatment

+3

After you've had your Fraxel treatment, I'd recommend wearing a wide-brimmed hat and consistent reapplication of a PABA and fragrance-free "broad-spectrum" sunscreen to block both UVA (aging) & UVB (burning) rays.

While I'll always warn that you should never sunbathe, regular tourist activities often include exposure to the sun, so the reapplication of an SPF 30 (or higher) will give you some protection. If you've had a Fraxel for eliminating melasma, or any pigmentation, then it will likely come back with any sun exposure. If you are fair-skinned and you don't have hyper-pigmentation, but your fraxel was done to shrink pore size & tighten the skin, then you should be okay with limited sun exposure.

It’s not recommended that you get sun after Fraxel

+2

It’s not really recommended that you get sun after Fraxel. In fact, it’s not recommended that you ever get sun. I would recommend a sun block. There’s always an increased risk of hyperpigmentation for several months after any skin treatment procedure. I would recommend wearing a sunblock of SPF 30 or higher and reapplying after 2 hours. There’s no reason to risk damage after having a skin treatment by being in the sun without sun block. You’re going to undo any benefits of the skin treatments that you have. We sell medical grade sun block that works great for protecting the skin after treatment.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Protect yourself very well from the sun after Fraxel

+2

Whether Fraxel Restore or Fraxel Repair, you should take great precautions from the MidEastern sun exposure.  Despite using a great sunscreen, you will still easily get UVA and UVB rays penetrating the skin and the laser can make the skin even more apt to transmit these rays. You don't want to develop post procedural melasma or pigmentation as this can be very difficult to treat.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Sun exposure after laser resurfacing

+1

I would certainly speak with your surgeon about their recommendation. In general, I suggest to patients to avoid sun for at least 2-3 weeks after any laser procedure and then be very diligent about sunscreen use (SPF 30 or greater with active ingredient of zinc) for at least 6 months.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun After Fraxel

+1

I would recommend that you check with your physician regarding his or her thoughts on this matter. However, my advice is to be very careful about sun exposure for the first six months after your treatment (meaning wearing sun screen or makeup with sun screen, etc.) Also keep in mind that Egypt is closer to the equater so you will be even more exposed to direct sunlight. In the end, I would try to at least limit your exposure between the hours of 10 and 2.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure After Fraxel

+1

Good Day London,

Best to avoid sun exposure after Fraxel treatment.  Are you really going to Egypt?  Why not Libya, Yemen, or Bahrain?  Please be careful with your sun exposure after Fraxel, and with your upcoming travels.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD