I Was Hit in my Implant, Could This Have Caused Damage?

i recently just had a ba with saline implants under the muscle and today my son was playing and on accident he hit me right in my implant...i wanted to know if the implant is ok and could the hit cause damage

Probably Okay

+1

It would usually take a very forceful blow to cause damage to an augmented breast and/or rupture of a breast implant.  If your breast still looks okay besides, perhaps, some mild swelling and/or bruiding then you are probably okay.

Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant trauma

+1

It is not likely that this type of trauma would cause a new implant to rupture. Since you have saline implants, if the implant ruptured it would have deflated resulting in loss of volume.  If you have concerns it is best to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. 

David Bray, Jr, MD

Hit in implant and worried

+1

Usually unless the impact was severe, the implants are very durable. If you are concerned, an exam by your surgeon should alleviate your worries. 

Damage to Implant

+1

Without seeing you and examining you it is very difficult to give you specific advice.  If it is a saline implant and the size did not shrink after the trauma, then it is probably intact.  However, you should follow closely with your doctor to make sure.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast implants are very durable

+1

A hit on the chest is not likely to cause any damage to your saline implant. After breast augmentation you can return to any sport or activity you wish without fear for your implants.

peterejohnsonmd

Unlikely

+1

It is very difficult to rupture an implant. As it is saline, if it brakes, it goes away. You could have swelling or a hematoma from trauma. When in doubt, go back and see your plastic surgeon

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast implant injury

+1

Very good question. I have seen instances of damage after blunt trauma. It is important to distinguish between damage to the implant itself v disruption of a recent surgical wound and the implant pocket. In one case, many years ago, a patient en route home from surgery was in a headon collision. The impact caused the wound to open and the implant was damaged as well. In another, more recent instance, the patient had a similar accident several months after surgery. I have also seen cases of patients struck in the chest with subsequent capsular contracture and other sequelae. If you have concerns, it would be wise to reach out to your plastic surgeon and potentially to undergo diagnostic tests to rule out complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast implant injuries, saline implants, capsular injuries to breast implants

+1

I can understand your concerns about the possibility for  having an injury to your breast implant.  It is less likely that you have an injury to the  implant because the nature of a saline  implant is that a leak would most likely develop, causing a loss of volume and size.  Any leak in a saline implant will eventually cause complete loss of fluid  from the implant.  There could be some surrounding bruising and capsular bleeding around the implant with time, usually leading to an increased firmness and distortion to the shape of the implant.  Without  a loss of volume there is probably no suggestion of a direct injury to the saline implant, however.  Please followup with your Plastic Surgeon if you have any further concerns.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Breast Implant Trauma

+1

Thank you for the question. No, I think it would be almost impossible to rupture the implant based on the description of the "trauma" you have sustained.  Generally, the amount of pressure required to rupture a breast implant would be that seen  in a motor vehicle accident or  a horse kicking the patient in the chest.

If you have continued concerns or questions (or external evidence of trauma such as swelling or bruising) it may behoove you to see your plastic surgeon ASAP.