Hole in Incision After Breast Lift/ Augment, How Bad is It? (photo)

im 3 weeks after breast lift/ augment and about 5 days ago my pain got a but worse went to Dr and he took my tape if to find a hole at the bottom where the incision down from nipple meets the one under the breast. No smell some leakage doesnt appear infected but waiting on swab results. He put me on antibiotics and im to redress it daily. He doesnt seem to think its too bad and im waiting to hear back from surgeon but im sick with worry. is this really bad?

Slow healing breast lift

+1
It looks like you have a slow healing area in the T-zone following the breast lift.  You should see your surgeon frequently to monitor it, but it should heal without serious consequences. 

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Looks very superficial and not infected and located at the T junction where the skin has the most issues with wound healing, I would suggest soap/water twice a day along with an antibiotic cream like SSD

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

T Sohn skin slough after breast lift should heal well

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. It sounds as though your plastic surgery has things under control. The area of concern is an area that gets last blood supply after a breast lift and augmentation. Because of this it is common to have a small area of skin loss which we call a slough. Because the vertical incision and horizontal incision formate T we call this a T zone slough.

Normally it heals very well and is well hidden after the breast falls. Your surgeon is correct the area must be kept clean and dead tissue not allowed to build up

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Wound healing issues at "T" often seen with mastopexy in breast augmentation.

+1

The odds are very good that with proper one care this wound will heal uneventfully. Because there is an implant nearby close attention needs to be paid until the wound is closed fearing contamination of the prosthesis.

Hole after breast lift

+1

Hello Ebony

I completely understand your concerns.

In my practice, I cannot overemphasise how important it is to develop a good patient-doctor relationship. This means that my patients are confident that we will treat them with honesty and integrity. They can come in and be reassured that, with all my experience and specialist training, I will guide them around any concerns and complications.

After all, this is what I do. This is what I have many years of specialist training to do, and I do not expect you to have the knowledge or skills to make these sorts of assessments.

If you are not confident, I encourage you to rediscuss with your Plastic Surgeon.

I agree with the other replies that I have seen that this type of complication many times post surgery. It is the tension area, and usually heals well.

I wish you well in your recovery.

Mark Edinburg, MBBCH, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Small Wound

+1

Thanks for the photo.  It is not bad and should heal without any issues.   This a typical area that can open up with an "Anchor-type" breast lift incision.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Hole in Incision After Breast Lift/ Augment, How Bad is It?

+1

This is a very common occurrence following breast reductions or lifts. The tension area of the "T" incision breaks down. Thus secondary healing needs to occur. Local wound care or IPL therapy (red light frequency) or PRP therapy speeds this up. Could take a few weeks to resolve. 

Breast lift and implant wound breakdown

+1

A common area of breakdown is at the "T" incision.  This is more problematic with implants because of the risk of infection. Best to keep in close contact with your surgeon.

Wound post breast lift

+1

Ebony,

The problem is one of the issues that can arise after this procedure. There is a small area of wound breakdown that needs to be dressed and will heal . You need to stay in touch with your surgeon so that they can monitor progress

I hope that is of some help

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is not a rare thing to see a breakdown of this sort at the junction of the vertical and horizontal incisions after breast lift or reduction. It looks like the implant itself is well covered, so typically these will heal without any surgery needed. The wound care ordered seems correct. 

No, I would not consider this really bad. Do follow regularly with your surgeon. All the best.