What is the Best Way to Treat Capsular Contracture at Home?

I would like to know if deep tissue massage regularly is the best way? using a massage machine that vibrates and pulsates at different levels regularly? or regularly laying down on the floor face down applying pressure on the implant with the Contracture to stretch it? or all 3 combined, also what about medicine? if so what? I appreciate any advice towards my question, thanks.

Optimal Ways to Prevent Capsular Contracture

+1

The best way to prevent capsular contracture is to do breast massages both medially and superiorly 3x per day.  You should do this for at least the first year after breast augmentation and continue it daily thereafter for the duration of the implants to minimize closure of the capsule.

What can I do at home to help with capsular contracture?

+1

In most cases surgical intervention will be needed in patients who develop capsular contracture.  Singulair, breast message and Vit E can be used but likely have very little effect. Time likely will either help relax the capsule somewhat or keep it relatively unchanged.  Follow up closely with your surgeon, but be prepared for possible surgical intervention if things are not better between 6-9 months. Good Luck.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture home remedies

+1

There are no methods that one can do at home to improve capsular contracture that I know.  Once you have it, the only way to get rid of it  is to have surgery.

No effective home remedies for capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately there are no proven effective treatments that you can do to either prevent or treat capsular contracture on your own. Though some doctors recommend massage, there is absolutely no scientific evidence that it helps prevent contractures. See your plastic surgeon, who is in the best position to evaluate and treat.

Richard Baxter, MD

Misshapen breast after breast implant and capsular contracture

+1

Capsules form around breast implants within days of their placement. The capsules are basically scar tissue that surrounds the implants. For a variety of reasons muscle like contractile cells can appear in the capsule wall. When they contract we see/feel a hard breast (capsular contracture) with variable degrees of surface outline distortion from the outside. The longer the contracture has been present the harder it is to treat and the more aggressive the treatment/surgery that is required. If the capsular contracture has only be present for a few days or weeks it may be amenable to non-surgical treatment such as deep massage. I have found endermologie (the combination of rollers and suction pressure applied to the skin surface) to be a good way to get the massage movement deep enough under the skin to stretch and soften the capsule.

I do not think you can get the same penetration of the massage using a vibrating or pulsating surface massager. Lying on the floor and pressing the breast/implants into the floor would not have the same effect on the capsule. Rapidly putting the breasts into the floor is more likley to tear the capsule and rupture the implant. Slowly doing so is not likely to work.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

What is the Best Way to Treat Capsular Contracture at Home?Answer:

+1

It really depends on how long you have noticed it…If it is just starting, then I have had patients have success with alternating deep massage, laying on the floor face down, hands on breasts, and lifting your hips up off the ground so that all your weight is on your breast, and also laying face down on the kitchen counter and rocking on that breast…But this really only has some success if the CC is just starting! Once it has been there for over 4-6 months, probably not.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Singulair sometimes helps with capsular contracture.

+1

Hi.

1)  Singulair is a widely used asthma medication that can sometimes help.  This is an off label use of this medicine.

2)  Manipulation or massage of the breasts do not help.

3)  Sooner or later, you may have to consider  revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Capsular Contracture Management

+1

Capsular contracture is a problem related to breast augmentation that occurs when the breast implant is deformed from the capsule that is progressively shrinking. We do not know why or how this happens. However there are several things you can do to treat it. Massage is usually recommended immediately following the surgery and can be continued for months to years. Home massage, however will not likely make a difference if the capsule is already significant or contracted. Occasionally, physicians will try Singulair medicine as an "off label" used to help soften the capsule, but this does not necessarily work in every patient. Finally surgery is an option to correct this by removing the capsule entirely or releasing it in areas to accommodate the implant.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Home remedy for capsular contracture?

+1

Have you seen your original surgeon to confirm this diagnosis?  I would start there.  There is nothing you can do to treat established capsular contracture at home.  Overly aggressive pressure maneuvers may cause damage to your implants.  Fortunately or unfortunately surgery for correction is the best option.  Get seen by a Plastic surgeon sooner than later,  Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Home remedy for capsular contracture

+1

Once a capsule has firmly formed around a breast implant there is very little that can be done at home to solve the problem. You can massage and lay on your stomach to try to soften the implant, but there is nothing to recommend that gives results.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd