Is Arnica Safe to Use for Post-Surgery?

Is Arnica safe? What should I know about the safety of Arnica?

Arnica is definitely a safe product. There is a fairly...

Arnica is definitely a safe product. There is a fairly recent study in the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery which indicates that in patients undergoing facelift procedures, it subjectively decreased bruising and swelling.

Which product you use will determine the quality of the ingredients. I would suggest visiting a reputable health food store in your area or a physician who deals with Arnica a great deal and they can point you in the right direction of an effective supplier.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Arnica

Arnica is a safe product, and if used properly can assist in reducing swelling and bruising.

There are Arnica products that have been overly diluted, so you should get the product from a reputable source or get a recommendation from a trusted physician on where to buy the product.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Arnica in Plastic Surgery helps to keep bruising under control

Arnica montana, an homeopathic preparation from an alpine herb, has become a routine peri-operative supplement in my practice.  It has been very effective in controlling the extent of bruising and swelling.  The homeopathic preparation is difficult for most MD's to understand, as its basis is not based on pharmaceutical dilution, but on "energetic activation" in the dilution stages.  Nonetheless, it appears to work well in a majority of my cases, and so, we endorse its use.  We have not encountered any negative safety issues in using this product which is also available over the counter at most health food stores under the Boiron label.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Bromelain and Arnica with Bruisestick after surgery

Arnica and Bromelain work well. Our office recommends an ointment containing Arnica and Bromelain for post surgery bruising. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS