Will Anything Help to Thicken Thin Skin?

I have had dermabrasion for removing old acne scars with very very fine dermabrasion kit at home and it removed all the scars that I had from acne scars in the last 10 years. It peeled off all the scars and I said bye bye to the scars, I am very glad for that.

However, the newly exposed skin is very thin and weak especially on my nose. Is there any cream or vitamin that help to thicken my thin skin? Will Retin-A, vitamin A or vitamin E help me to thicken it?

How to thicken thin skin

+3

There are a variety of prescription and proprietary formulations that are directed toward increasing the collagen content, hence the tickness of the skin. Retinnol (vitamin A) and tretinoin (Retin A) are effective although irritating off of the face. and can only be used periodically except on the face. Peptide formulations (Regenerist, Olay Pro X, Strivectin etc) also increase the collagen content of skin. There is some evidence that friction, such as scrubbing with a Luffa also thickens the skin.

Miami Dermatologist

Thin skin management

+2

I agree with my colleagues: the best option would be using prescription strength Retinoid product. This can be Tazarotene or retinoic acid. You can use the cream as it is less irritating than the gel. Every other night application, & moisturiser usage would also help with having less skin irritation.

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Options to thicken thin skin

+2

Retin-A is probably the one best medical treatment available to thicken skin that is reliable and has been studied and fully evaluated as well as verified.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.