Alternatives to Chin Implants & Sliding Genioplasty
- Asked by curiousgal in canada
- 2 years ago
I am interested in augmenting my chin but am wary of the reactions that are possible by having a foreign body placed inside me. I was more interested in a sliding genioplasty for a while as it seemed to have less long term complications compared to a chin implant, but I've found evidence that the titanium screws/plates are a hazard as well. Is there any other method of augmenting the chin, even if slightly, with safer methods such as fat grafting?
Options for changing your chin
The change that you would like to make to your chin be in relation to another facial feature, as so you have a lot of options. Clearly you are doing your research and want the most safe and effective way.
- Your question about fat grafting for the chin is a good one.
Fat grafting is safe and effective at filling deflated areas, BUT
- Prominent structures like your forehead, chin and nose are better treated by building up the foundation.
- Injectible fillers are an option but require reinjection and expense.
Although, titanium plates and screws have a long history of safety and reliability,
- You can always have the sliding genioplasty and have the titanium removed after the bone has healed. if that is your preference. See the link below for more information.
Best Wishes, Dr. T
Web reference: http://www.drtravistollefson.com/news/computer_imaging.htm
Another simple thing you could do would be to have some Restylane or Perlane put into your chin to see if you like the effect. This is very easy and can be customized as you age to your new needs. Avoid any permanent fillers please!
Recent Chin Surgery Reviews
Chin Surgery Photos
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.