Alternatives to Chin Implants & Sliding Genioplasty

I am interested in augmenting my chin but am wary of the reactions that are possible by having a foreign body placed inside me. I was more interested in a sliding genioplasty for a while as it seemed to have less long term complications compared to a chin implant, but I've found evidence that the titanium screws/plates are a hazard as well. Is there any other method of augmenting the chin, even if slightly, with safer methods such as fat grafting?

Options for changing your chin

+1

Dear Curiousgal

The change that you would like to make to your chin be in relation to another facial feature, as so you have a lot of options. Clearly you are doing your research and want the most safe and effective way.

• Your question about fat grafting for the chin is a good one.
  •  Fat grafting  is safe and effective at filling deflated areas,  BUT
    • Prominent structures like your forehead, chin and nose are better treated by building up the foundation.
  • Injectible fillers are an option but require reinjection and expense.
  •  
  • Although, titanium plates and screws have a long history of safety and reliability,
    • You can always have the sliding genioplasty and have the titanium removed after the bone has healed. if that is your preference.  See the link below for more information.

Best Wishes, Dr. T

Web reference: http://www.drtravistollefson.com/news/computer_imaging.htm

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

Another simple thing you could do would be to have some Restylane or Perlane put into your chin to see if you like the effect.  This is very easy and can be customized as you age to your new needs.  Avoid any permanent fillers please!