Alternative Treatment for Melasma?

Aside from Triluma, is there a treatment for melasma that works?

How to treat melasma without using hydroquinone

Melasma is usually a recurrent skin condition that can sometimes be difficult to treat. Most importantly, melasma treatment begins with wearing suncreen daily. I recommend at least SPF 50 with UVA and UVB coverage aling with a physical blocker like zinc oxide. Sunscreen does deactivate within about 2 hours so be sure to reapply.

There are some skin lightening alternatives on the market. Some studies have shown antioxidants such as vitamin C to help lighten some pigmentation Another is Elure which is a new product that my patients have been finding good success with lightening their skin.  This is a natural occuring enzyme and is therefore not found to be irritating to the skin. You apply it twice daily and most patients see results within a month; some have seen improvement within a weef or 2. You do still need to wear sunscreen and protect your skin to minimize recurrence of melasma

317 East 34th Street
New York, NY 10016

Combining Treatment Therapies for Melasma

Melasma is a common disorder that is often difficult to treat. It isn't unusual for a patient to become frustrated after trying a variety of treatments in an attempt to obtain satisfactory results. Like most other complicated skin conditions, a combination of treatments paired with the proper skin regimen works best! Topical de-pigmenting agents such as hydroquinone or other melanin inhibitors along with a topical tretinoic acid to increase skin cell turnover, hastens the fading of uneven patches. This commitment along with specific medical-grade chemical peels, appropriate laser treatments and diligent protection , can enhance the likelihood of reducing or resolving melasma !

#melasma #chemicalpeels # unevenskincolor

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Melasma treatment

Melasma is an often chronic condition that is not easy to manage. First and foremost, I advise my patients to wear a high-quality SPF 60 sunscreen year round. Next, a combination cream like Triluma can be very effective, and I can compound much stronger fading creams than are available over the counter or that come prepared. Chemical peels carefully performed can sometimes be of benefit, as can laser in some cases. Vitamin C based creams are a useful adjunct as well. Finally, I find the Obaji system can be a very useful treatment and maintenance regimen for many of my patients with melasma.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

4256 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M3H 5Y8