If I'm Allergic to Surgical Type What else Will Be Put over the TT Incision?

Allergy to tape

+1

This is easy.they can place the dressings over your incision and then put on a velcro girdle type garment to hold your dressings in place.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to surgical tape.

+1

There are plenty of alternatives to surgical tape. The most common is a skin glue such as Dermabond. Although an allergy to the glue is also a possibility, I have found that to be a rare occurrence (particularly in comparison to tape sensitivities).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not to worry about the tape

+1

I frequently dont use tape.  we have numerous options including tissue glue, steristrips, and even nothing at all...

Grant Stevens, MD

Alternative for surgical tape

+1

Hi, there are several alternatives for surgical tape.  Personally, I like using Dermabond (glue) or Prenio (Dermabond tape).  Please let your plastic surgeon know that you are allergic to surgical tape.  He may have different preference.

Sugene Kim, MD

Allergy to surgical tape

+1

There are many alternatives your surgeon can choose. Be sure to let not only your surgeon but the surgical team as well know. I'm sure they will ask but it never hurts to be proactive. Good luck with your surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Glue (Dermabond) Over Incisions

+1

I normally use Dermabond, the medical equivalent to superglue to cover incisions after breast and abdominal surgeries instead of taping bandages on.  The Dermabond acts as an additional barrier to seal the incisions against bacteria.  With the Dermabond I allow most of my patients to shower the next day due to the waterproofing effect. I also think that covering allows for better scar formation. The disadvantage is that it does leave a gray film over the incisions for a few weeks before it finally peels off.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to surgical tape

+1
There are various alternatives ranging from occlusive dressings to antibiotic ointment with or without a bandage or Xeroform ague. Discuss the alternatives with your plastic surgeon but know that alternatives do exist and that your allergy should not preclude you from having surgery. Good luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

There are multiple options for surgical incision dressing

+1
Hello, Thank you for your question. If you are allergic to tape you can either go with a non-adhesive dressing such as xeroform or you can go with an occlusive dressing such as dermabond. Personally I would go with the dermabond route. Once the dermabond has fallen off I would do silicone sheet. All the best Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Surgical Tape Allergy

+1

You do not necessarily need to have surgical tape on your incision.  You should discuss your situation with your surgeon.  Alternatives include surgical glue (Dermabond), antibiotic ointment, or nothing at will with just clean dry bandages.  So, there are many options.  Don't worry.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD