What Happens to my Belly Button Ring Scar After a TT?

I have a small hole above my belly button where my BB ring used to be. It's been closed now for 4+ years.

+2

The goal with the TT is to remove the belly button hole and the piercing tract above it. However that doesn't always work and the piercing hole might be left on the abdominal skin just above the tummy tuck incision. If no jewelry is used it will eventually quit being a hole, or the surgeon can cut it out at the time of the TT or at a later time.

Belly Button Ring and Tummy Tuck

+2

During the full tummy tuck procedure, the area were your belly button ring was will most likely be removed.  The skin between your belly button and your pubic area will be removed and the skin above your belly button will be pulled tight and sewn in place along the lower incision, thus removing the displacing/removing the skin that had the belly button ring.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Great time to remove and or close the hole from BB ring!

+2

Good morning,

A new opening will be created for your umbilicus during the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) procedure at this time we the scar and or hole may be removed with no evidence of the previous belly button ring!

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Belly button ring

+1

In all likelihood this will be gone and that's ok because you can have it repierced at a later time if you so desire.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Belly button ring scars are removed with a tummy tuck.

+1

The skin where the belly button ring scar is located will most likely be removed during the tummy tuck. If the skin is too tight and your surgeon is not able to remove all of the skin up to and above the belly button, the scar would be present just above the incision line in the pubic region.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

+1

Your surgeon should be informed and he may elect to remove the area of any scar that might  be  I the area. It should present no problems.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What happens to belly button hole after tummy tuck?

+1

Most likely, the belly button ring hole will be gone after tummy tuck.  In most patients, excess skin just above the belly button down to the groin area will be removed at the time of the surgery.  Therefore, the belly button ring hole will be most likely be included in the excised tummy tissue.  If you do not have too much of excess tummy skin, then the hole me remain just above your scar.  However, your plastic surgeon can easily remove the hole/scar at the time of the tummy tuck.

Sugene Kim, MD

Belly Button Piercing and Tummy Tucks

+1

Any piercings around the belly button are usually removed with the excess skin that is taken off in an abdominoplasty.  The tummy tuck will result in new skin and a small scar around the naval that can be pierced later if you want after all the incisions have healed.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

+1

After a full tummy tuck, the old belly button hole will move down, and the old BB ring scar will move down with it.  If there is enough skin laxity above the BB so that pulling down the loose skin makes the old BB hole and BB ring scar move below the incision line, they will both be removed.  If they do not move down far enough, they are closed as a short vertical scar in the lower tummy.  Some surgeons, in this case, will raise the entire level of the Tummy Tuck scar to a higher position to be able to get rid of the old BB hole and avoid this short vertical scar, but I personally do not think this is a good trade-off.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Belly button ring scar

+1
In a full abdominoplasty, a new umbilicus will be created and therefore the scar from your ring will be removed during the surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD