How Much Will It Cost to Replace my Breast Implants?

I had saline breast implants, size c about ten years ago placed under the muscle. They now sag and I would like to replace them. I live in Albany, NY and I am wondering what the estimated cost would be? Also, is the procedure more complicated, and can the procedures be done under local anesthesia?

Breast implant and lift costs

+3
In general, Breast revision, if it is merely replacing an implant and no major revision or lifting of the implant needs to be done, then the replacement fee is far simpler than the actual primary surgery and is thus less expensive.  However, in patients that have implants that sag, a revision is necessary, as well as probable breast lift.  The prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lift breasts instead of replacing implants

+1

You state that you are size C and are concerned about the sagging.  If you are happy with the size then you do not need to replace the implants but you need a lift.  This can be done through a circumareola incision avoiding any vertical scars.  The lift will also increase your upper pole fullness, increase your cleavage and reshape your breasts.  This may be the more appropriate alternative for you if you are satisfied with your size.  The cost of this is approximately $5,000 to $7,000.  If you want implant exchange at the same time, the additional cost for the implants would be approximately $1,800 (silicone gel) and $800 (saline).  The surgeon's fee and facility time would bring the total of between $8,000 and $9,000.  I place my implants retro-pectoral and that is not practical to do under local.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Cost to Replace my Breast Implants

+1
Implant exchange like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge $2800 + MD Anesthesia related costs for implant exchange with saline implants. Gel Implants tend to be about $1000 to $1500 more. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cost of implants and lift in NY

+1

The fees will vary from one part of the state to the next, and it sounds like you need implant exchange and possibly a lift.  Go for a few consults, but remember do not just focus on price because sometimes the best low price is low for a reason.  You may end up paying more in the end for lower quality work.  Good luck.

The cost of breast implant replacement

+1

Replacing breast implants in the Northeast can range from $6000 to $10000.  This does not include what a breast lift would cost if that is needed as well.  This usually includes the cost of the surgeons fees, implants, anesthesiologist and operating room facility. 

The difficulty of the procedure can vary from being a straight forward removal of implant and replacement with another one to being more complex and requiring adjustment of the pocket where the implants lay under the breast.  This may be required to make them look even, or you may need additional soft tissue support to achieve the best result.  A breast lift may also be recommended.   That is why the price range is so wide.  

In some cases, the procedure can be done with monitored sedation and local anesthesia but the more complex cases should be performed under general anesthesia.  Again, it varies on your individual situation.  

To find out what you need and how much exactly it would cost, you should be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Cost of implant replacement

+1

Exchange of breast implants is performed under general anesthesia in an accredited facility in NYS.  The procedure may be more complex because you note that there is sagging.  Without a photo and physical examination, I cannot determine whether you need a breast lift along with the reaugmentation.  This certainly will increase the cost of the procedure.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to obtain a price quote and discuss the logistics of surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD