Will an alar reduction help make my nose appear smaller and natural? (photos)

I've been looking at rhinoplasty methods to reduce the size of my nose yet have it natural looking.. I'm leaning towards an alar reduction but does anyone else have any suggestions? I've attached some pictures

Alar base reduction

+1
a reduction the width or the base of ear nose is practical and I think refining the tip at the same time would improve the overall appearance of the lower half of the nose.  All of these things that I save must be taken with a gr of salt because I have not examined U nor do I have good complete photographs.

In general I would say a sill incision or internal incision that is mostly inside the nose would be a good approach for you.  This offers natural results with a good reduction in the nasal base.  A can reduce both flare and overall width.  One thing to remember is that the nose may still look wide or flared when you smile.

Chase Lay, MD
double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction

+1
I cannot see your entire nose but a tip-plasty with an alar reduction will definitely improve the lower part of your nose. A full set of nasal pictures, as described in my website, would be helpful.

Getting a smaller nose with nostril reduction

+1
It's hard to fully assess things just looking at your cropped nasal photos, but in general alar base reduction can be used to create a natural looking, narrower nose.

To learn more about nostril reduction techniques and to see some before and after photos you can check out my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Will an alar base reduction help make my nose appear smaller and more natural?

+1
An alar base reduction can yield a natural result that greatly improves the appearance of the nose when the procedure is performed properly by a skilled rhinoplasty specialist. More photos and/or an in-person exam would be necessary to advise you. I would recommend a consult with a board certified and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. He or she will evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. Computer imaging software may be used to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nostril Narrowing with alar plasty

+1
Narrowing the nostrils is accomplished by removing a small wedge of skin at the base of the nostrils and sewing that incision closed meticulously. This will narrow the nostrils and alar base.

Will an alar reduction help make my nose appear smaller and natural?

+1
Alar base reduction will certainly help your nose appear smaller.  Natural results should be the goal.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Narrowing the Nostrils

+1
Alar reduction can be performed in conjunction with a formal Rhinoplasty or on its own as an isolated procedure. The width of the nostrils is a relative thing so you would need to have the rest of your nose and in fact the rest of your face examined to determine if the nostrils truly are too wide.

Good luck!

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction should be a considered option

+1
I always rely on the profile view to determine if nostril surgery is necessary. Often, just achieving more projection of the nose, including the tip, can reduce the flare of the nostrils. Some issues that need to be considered before nostril surgery are:
  • whether the base or 'sill' of the nose is out of proportion,
  • what is the thickness of the tissue of the nostril (how fleshy is the ala?),
  • what is your overall skin type and thickness.
Most incisions heal well, but oily, porous skin types and darker skin types sometimes have scars that are more apparent.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction/Nostril Narrowing

+1
Alar reduction is a rhinoplasty method for decreasing the size/width of the nostrils. While it is often done as part of a more complete rhinoplasty, it can be done as an isolated procedure. Your pictures show that you would benefit by a nostril narrowing procedure. When not overdone, it can appear very natural with well hidden scars.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Alar reduction alone?

+1
I need to see photos to give you a proper answer. When u narrow the nostrils other parts of your nose may look too large and need to be reduced as well.