Is There an Age Requirement for Blepharoplasty?

I am in my early twenties and have a little access fat in my upper eyelid area. I would love to have actual eyelids (the extra fat/skin blocks half of my eyelid) and be able to put on makeup. Will this procedure help me accomplish that, as well as make my eyes look bigger and more open? Or am I too young?

What age can someone have blepharoplasty

+2

Excess skin can build up as a result of the aging process, but for some they are born with it. Patients of Irish,/English ancestry and some Asian will have upper eyelid heaviness. I generally recommend waiting until at least 18 years of age, unless there is some psychological reason to perform the procedure earlier.

There is no reason to delay the procedure. The benefits of a more open refreshed look and the ability to wear makeup far out weigh any down side.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and Age.

+2

An eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty) can be performed at any age as long as a surgical indication is present. Excess skin/fat of the upper and/or lower eyelids is usually hereditary and can be seen in younger patients in their twenties. If the excess skin/fat  is blocking your vision then yes a blepharoplasty is recommended. Such procedure will remove the excess skin of the upper eyelids and will give you the impression that your eyes are more "open". it is an impression only since blepharoplasty will not change the distance between your upper and lower eyelid margins. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Eyelid surgery

+1
There really is no age requirements for eyelid surgery. There are many factors, such as genetics,that may make a patient need this surgery in his/her 20s. It is best to be evaluated and see if surgery or non surgical procedures are appropriate.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age requirement for blepharoplasty

+1

Some patients have congenital puffy upper eyelids and a simple removal of fat with a small amount of skin can be performed on patients in their 20s or 30s. It is important to determine whether a congenital ptosis present, as that may need to be addressed as well.  

There is No Age Limit for Blepharoplasty, or an Eyelid Lift

+1

There is no age limit for an eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty.  Given your description of the your problem with excess skin, a skin only eyelid lift, with little to no fat excision, may be possible.  However, a blepharoplasty will only give you the optical illusion of having a larger eye.  The procedure itself will not give you a larger aperture, or eye opening. 

I wish you the best of luck!

Roy Kim, MD

Minimum age for eyelid surgery

+1
You are not too young for upper eyelid surgery. Many people are born with excess upper or lower eyelid fat. This likely could be improved surgically. But you should have it evaluated by an experienced plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for the procedure, as some causes of the excess cannot be corrected surgically.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Age and blepharoplasty, make sure the diagnosis is right!

+1

Loss of elasticity, skin excess, and volume change are typically related to age. But some people have family traits that show much earlier then others. Besides that, there are conditions that make corrections necessary at an early stage: such as congenital ptosis.

As a patient be carefull to make the diagnosis and decide on the procedure! It is better to ask yourself what is bothering you and consult with a doctor (or even better several doctors) and ask him or her what they feel is the best option for you! I have had a lot of patients coming for one procedure but leaving with another after good explanation!

Good luck.

Ivar van Heijningen, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery can be done at any age

+1

It's important to note that age doesn't always have an impact on whether a patient is a good candidate for any surgery.  Instead, the condition itself that bothers the patient is what is taken into account.

A blepharoplasty would most certainly help in reducing the fat deposits on your upper eyelids and thereby result in easier application of makeup once the healing process has happened.

V. William Papanastasiou, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty age limit

+1

There is no absolute age cutoff for blepharoplasty procedures. These operations are performed to remove excess fat and/or skin from the eyelids. Sometimes there may be alternatives to surgery, especially in very youn patients such as yourself, so make sure you understand all your options before proceeding.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Upper eyelid improvement

+1

Eyelid surgery has become one of my most popular procedures. If excess upper eyelid skin is hooding the eye and needs to be eliminated, an incision is made in the crease at the top of the lid and excess fat and skin are removed. The incisions are closed and sutured on the underside of the skin leaving minimal scarring. The great thing about this procedure is that it can be performed as an outpatient procedure without the need for general anesthesia. An effective non-surgical option that might benefit you is Thermage®, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. The new and improved Thermage® is a virtually painless, non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage® requires no downtime from normal activities.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD