Is 31 Too Young to Get Under Eye Bag Surgery?

I've had under eye bags since I can remember. I've tried everything under the sun to fix the problem, but I realize I might need to get surgery to get rid of them. I used to have them really bad on Monday mornings (probably from drinking over the weekend) but would decrease as the week progressed. I now constantly have them and I wear glasses (non-prescription) just to hide them. Can someone provide a price range for the surgery?

Young Women with Baggy Eyes

+3

I do not have a specific age restriction for doing lower eyelid surgery. The need for surgical correction is not based upon your chronological age, but on the condition of your eyelids. You may be one of those who was just born to have droopy lower lids. They can be fixed at age 31 or 61.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How young is too young for under-eye surgery?

+3

Lower blepharoplasty (lower eyelid surgery) is certainly an option for anyone with a significant, surgically-correctable problem. There is no definite age-limit (young or old) regarding such surgery--if you have a surgically-correctable issue and are healthy enough to undergo surgery, then it is an option to consider.

However, there are many other options you might consider before having surgery. You said you have "tried everything" to fix your undereye fullness, but you didn't indicate what things you've tried.  Fillers can be very helpful in this area, as can some types of RF or laser treatments. 

See a board-certified plastic surgeon (or 2 or 3) to find out which options might fit you.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Most people don't need lower eyelid surgery, they need fillers to the face

+2

95% of the patients I see with bags and dark circles under their eyes have them because of an indentation, or small valley at the transition from the eye socket to the rest of the face.

In my practice we use fillers to smooth this transition area and to augment the cheeks.  We have had great success with this.

While 8 years ago, lower lid Blepharoplasty was the best treatment available, today, most people are best treated with fillers.

Good luck in your search for information.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 31 too young for eyelid surgery?

+2

I think you would be an excellent candidate for transconjunctival lower lid surgery.  Use of an filler to the under eye hollows might also be considered as a nonsurgical option.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid surgery for prominent eye bags

+2

There are no age specific criteria for lower eyelid surgery. The nice thing about being younger when you have the excess fat of the lower eyelids removed is that typically no other treatment for that area is necessary. The procedure can easily be done by making a small incision behind the eyelid, called a transconjunctival approach, and directly removing the fat bags with no visible scarring. I cannot speak for the price in your area but in our area it runs about 2300 for the procedure and about another 1000 for the facility and anesthesia. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under-eye "bags" at a young age

+2

Lower lid fullness can be a facial feature inherited from a parent and intervention for this may be something you can consider if you would like.  There are nonsurgical options such as lasers, peels, and injectable fillers.  The surgical procedure that helps improve the appearance of the lower lids is lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Consultation with an oculoplastics surgeon can help you determine which options are available to you to obtain the results you desire.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery for bags under the eyes is sometimes done in younger patients when it is hereditary.

+2

Some individuals have puffy eyelids as a family trait.  If they don't like the appearance, it can be addressed with eyelid surgery.  It's fairly straighforward surgery with predictably good results.

Under eye bag surgery at age 31 is acceptable

+2

Patients can undergo lower blepharoplasty when needed. At age 31 it is best to probably undergo a transconjunctival approach with removal of the fad pads in the lower lids. There is no external incision. The fat is simply removed through the inside of the lower lid. This takes approximately half an hour under general anesthesia and the cost is approximately $3000. This includes the operating room, the anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee for performing the procedure. These bags are very difficult to remove under local anesthesia. Expect approximately two weeks of bruising and swelling after the surgery.  

Getting Rid of Lower Eyelid Bags: Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty with a Mid Face Lift

+2

Lower eyelid bags can be congenital and worsen at a young age. It is not uncommon for women in their 30s with such a problem to have it corrected. Unfortunately, most plastic surgeons are recommending fillers in the area which are temporary and can make the ultimate fix more difficult. From an anatomic perspective, you have weakness in your lower eyelid and drooping of your cheek which can accentuate the skin and fat of the eyelid. For your complaint, I would recommed a lower eyelid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning and muscle tightening, as well as skin removal and eyelid tightening. You may also benfit from a midface lift or cheek lift whic can be performed through the lower eyelid as well. Costs of these porcedures can vary, but plan on taking a couple of weeks off to recover.

Thanks

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Lower bleph at a young age

+2

Plastic surgery is more physiologic than chronologic.  At times, young women complain of naturally droopy breasts, or other issues that would seem to only affect older women.  Based on the photo provided, it would appear that you could benefit from a lower blepharoplasty.  This may involve skin excision and repositioning of fat.  It is now customary to preserve and reposition fat rather than to excise it.  Removal of fat from this region can provide a hollow aged look.  There are no effective non surgical means to correct this other than laser skin tightening.  In my opinion, you would be a better candidate for surgery than for laser.  A laser would leave you red for a long period and would probably under-correct the problem.  Price range depends, frankly, upon zip code and surgeon experience.  Check your doctors license and make sure he or she is board certified.  A price may vary from $2500 to $7000 depending on your doctor.  You should seek a fair price, probably somewhere in the middle of these figures.  But, most of all, find someone competent in this procedure as complications are difficult to correct.  This is generally considered a challenging procedure.

Jason R. Hess, MD