Why After a Week is my Drain Fluid Color Dark Dark Red and Running Freely? Should I Worry? (photo)

Am I Losing Too Much Blood?I had a tummy tuck on the 6th and it is the 12th and I am still running dark dark red blood. The first week it was a light bright red and clotting a lot. I took a warm shower yesterday and really drained my line good cleaned everthing and changed bandages. And it started flowing dark red slughtly thick blood. It's about 30 cc's every 3 hours. I only have one drain also. I'm small so my dr chose one drain. The office is closed until mon. And I'm freaking out. I don't want to goto to the ER either.

Concerns about drainage should be addressed to your plastic surgeon after abdominoplasty.

+1

The drainage in the tube does not look worrisome. Nevertheless, this is a matter best discussed with your own surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Concern about your drains

+1

If you have concerns, then  call your surgeon's office or have him/her paged.  Based on your photos, it does not appear that you have a blood collection or hematoma.  But if you are feeling lightheaded or very weak, you should seek immediate medical attention. If its after hours, seek care at your nearest emergency room.  

Dark red blood

+1

It sounds like maybe you had bled right after surgery, it usually clots for about a week then liquifies and comes out your drain.  If it was draining less and then started draining more - this is probably what happened.  It means that you aren't loosing the blood - you already did a week ago.  If you feel lightheaded, dizzy, or nauseated - those are reasons to go to the ER and make sure everything is ok.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.roxyplasticsurgery.com

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Why After a Week is my Drain Fluid Color Dark Dark Red and Running Freely? Should I Worry?

+1

Thanks for your questions, you need to get in touch with your surgeon even though this doesnt look to be an emergency he needs to know your concerns about this situation, if you are not able to get in touch with him, you should go to ER to check that everything is going fine, Best wishes!!

Dark blood

+1

Hi Lindsey. Difficult situation. It sounds like a cllection of old blood coming out but from the picture it's a little brighter than I would like to see.You probably will be ok till Monday but the smart thing to do is go to th er or contact a covering ps

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Why After a Week is my Drain Fluid Color Dark Dark Red and Running Freely?

+1

There is not enough info here (nor, perhaps could there be) to offer reassurance that might well be false reassurance. 10 cc and hour is certainly not a life threatening rate by any means, even if this is pure blood coming out. But a conversation with your surgeon is a must. Either the surgeon is on call or someone should be covering. If not, an ER visit may be your only option if this pace has continued since you posted this question.

All the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.