Is There a Danger of Blood Loss for a Tummy Tuck, I Am 75?

Blood Loss in Plastic Surgery

+1

Any of our procedures have a risk of blood loss. However, in 15 years of being involved with tens of thousands of cases I have NEVER transfused any one and have never had an issue where I felt that blood loss has been critical or a danger to the well being of the patient. So, to answer your question honestly, the risk is there, but it is astronomically low. The true risks of abdominoplasty are wound separation, pulmonary embolism, seroma formation and poor scarring.

An abdominoplasty seldom loses much blood.

+1

With any operation there is the possibility of blood loss. The likelihood of significant blood loss after an abdominoplasty is very small and would occur only if there were the postoperative complication of hematoma.

Blood Loss in Tummy Tucks

+1

Tummy tucks are not usually procedures that are associated with any significant blood loss. So the issue of potentially needing a blood transfusion after your procedure is virtually zero.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Bleeding after Tummy Tuck

+1

The risk of postoperative bleeding with a tummy tuck surgery is extremely low.   Although, it is a risk of any surgical procedure, with meticulous attention to detail and careful observation, the procedure can be performed very safely.

With increased age, the risk of anesthesia slightly increases.  I would recommend a thorough history and physical by your primary care and a preoperative visit with your anesthesiologist to ensure your utmost safety during this procedure.

I wish you a wonderful result and safe recovery!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Blood Loss during Tummy Tuck

+1

Modern surgical technique and, especially, use of an electrosurgical instrument has markedly reduced blood loss from procedures like a tummy tuck.  Therefore, the amount of blood that you will lose during this operation is generally significantly less then what you would lose if you donated a pint of blood.  Age makes no difference as to blood loss unless you are on a blood thinner.  Even then, with proper preoperative care and attention to detail during surgery, blood loss is minimal also.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

+1

If attention to detail is performed by your surgeon the blood loss is less then 3-4 ounces. There is a risk of post surgery bleeding for all operations and in this case it tends to happen  in one or two people every hundred operations. Good luck.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Excessive Bleeding During Tummy Tuck Is Low

+1

Dear DiamondD,

There is a small risk of excessive bleeding associated with any surgical procedure including a tummy tuck.

This risk is typically low (~2-4%) If you are overall healthy, do not have any bleeding or clotting disorders, and do not take any blood thinning medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or warfarin.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

+1

The blood loss risk is about the same as it would have been if you were 45, and it is low. Some blood loss occurs, but surgeons are careful to keep it to a minimum by various techniques, including injection of local anesthetic with adrenaline (which acts to shrink the small blood vessels) and the use of cautery to perform dissection during the operation. . 

It is very unusual for a patient to require a blood transfusion after a TT. 

Best is to discuss the benefits and risks face to face with a surgeon. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation,RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.