Is What I Saw After Removing my Cast my Final Rhinoplasty Result?

I'm 11 days post op and when I removed my cast I thought my nose looked really ugly and I looked like a pig, but now 3 days after removing my cast, my nose has gotten a little puffier and it looks way better than it did when I removed the cast. I heard when you remove the cast that's what it will look like. Is it because my tip was higher? I hope it ends up looking more like it does 3 days after removing it then before.

Nasal appearance after cast removal

+3

The nose commonly gets a little puffier in days following cast removal because of some extra swelling.  This swelling should resolve with time, therefore what you see now is not a final result.  On the same token, the appearance of the nose immediately following the cast removal may also not necessarily correspond to the final outcome of surgery.  The healing process after rhinoplasty is thought to be about 12 months-- quite a few changes may happen over this period of time.   Based on your photos, your nose looks good for the immediate postoperative period.  So my advise to you would be to take it easy and give it time to heal fully before making any judgements.  

Splint removal after rhinoplasty

+2

Generally, the splint controls swelling and the nose will look very well when the splint is removed. Swelling will persist for several weeks, and nasal shape and definition will continue to improve over six months to a year. It is hard to say what you 'saw' as the splint was removed, though its good you like your result now.

peterejohnsonmd

Swelling Common After Cast Removed

+1
The cast compresses the tissues of the nose to keep swelling down, and when it is removed the swelling can no longer be controlled and it can dramatically appear. This swelling can take months to subside, with the tip being affected for the longest. Please wait until swelling subsides before evaluating your results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Nose appears puffy after cast removal

+1
Immediately after the splint or cast is removed, it is common for the nose to look more defined. After the compression has been removed, the skin and soft tissues can swell and the nose can take on a puffy appearance; this can take weeks to months to significantly improve. After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, you may notice that your tip derotates and deprojects somewhat depending on what was technically performed during surgery. It is important to be patient after rhinoplasty and allow adequate time for recovery.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Too early to judge rhinoplasty result

+1

You are very early in the healing process and the irregularities that you are noticing are more likely due to swelling than anything else.  The asymmetry you see is also due to swelling.  It will take you another 6 months before you can begin to judge your result.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

The result you see after cast removal is not the final result. First the acute swelling has to go away, which takes several weeks. Then the more subtle long term swelling, mostly of the nasal tip, has to resolve and that can take up to a year. Also, your nose will undergo a remodeling process as the bones heal and the soft tissues settle into their final shape. If you are happy now you are very likely to be happy one year from now.

Joseph Fata, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

You are way too early to in the healing process! I always tell my patients to forget about their noses for a while and concentrate on other things (school,  job, hobbies, etc.). I realize you are excited to see the final results, but it takes almost an entire year to see this. So, in the meantime, relax and try to be patient. Your nose will go through many different stages of healing. The most persistent will be that of having a 'woody' nose. You'll know what I mean soon enough, but don't worry this is also normal. Take care, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following a rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose will have a considerable amount of swelling the first few weeks following surgery. Most of this will subside by around 6 months but it can take around a year for it to maximally subside.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Was what I saw after cast was removed, my final result after Rhinoplasty?

+1

It depends.  The appearance, of the nose, just after cast removal does have less swelling than what will occur in the subsequent weeks and months but the nasal tip can be falsely elevated from the tape application when the cast was on.  The tip position at 2 months is most likely a more reliable indicator of the final tip rotation position and at 6-9 months an indicator of overal tip size.  As always, it's best to have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

No, final results will be visible after 1 year

+1

Right now you sitll have a lot of swelling, so no this is not the final result.  The final result is usually after 12 months.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD