After Full Capsulectomy/implant Exchange, How Long Does It Take for the Capsule to Reform?

I had CC then had full capsulectomy with implant exchange. I was told that the new capsule will reform around the new implant. How long usually does it take for this new capsule to completely form?

Capsule formation

+1

The body will form a natural barrier around the implants. This may take a few months and hopefully this time around it will stay soft for you. Good luck.

Implant capsule formation

+1

Capsule formation around a breast implant begins in the first few weeks after placement of the implant. By about 2 to 3 months, the capsule formation has completed, but continues to mature and remodel for several months following. A contracture occurs when the scar tissue begins to constrict around the implant causing distortion in the implant which may be visible, palpable, or both.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Capsular Contracture Recurrence

+1

Regarding: "After Full Capsulectomy/implant Exchange, How Long Does It Take for the Capsule to Reform?
I had CC then had full capsulectomy with implant exchange. I was told that the new capsule will reform around the new implant. How long usually does it take for this new capsule to completely form
? "

The body ALWAYS encases every foreign body, be it a pacemaker, artificial blood vessel, a left over bullet or a breast implant with a thin cocoon of scar tissue we refer to as a CAPSULE. A capsule is a normal and universal response to EVERY implant. The trouble comes when the second part of the name - CONTRACTURE appears. A contracture is an unwelcome thickening and shortening of the scar resulting in deformity and occasional pain.

The commonly accepted classification system of Breast Capsular contracture is the BAKER Classification.
Class III - Capsule visible and palpable
Class IV - as above AND painful.

A capsule would form around your implant by 2-3 months but it will continue to modify for a few more months. There is no accurate way to predict exactly when a normal capsule will remain soft and invisible (Baker class I) or can still transform and recur as a contracture. The more time that passes between the Breast Augmentation/ Breast Reconstruction or Implant Exchange operation the less likely it is that a contracture will appear or recur.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Capsukes form in 2-3 months

+1

It takes about 2-3 months for a new capsule to form around your replaced implants.  A capsular contracture can recur but fortunately it usually doesn't.

Capsule formation.

+1

A capsule is a normal foreign body reaction. A capsular contracture is not. As soon as the inflammatory response subsides (typically 4 days after surgery) the capsule forms and is typically stable by about 3 months even though it is constantly and forever metabolically active.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.