After Breast Reduction Will my Breasts Shrink More?

I just had reduction 4 days ago. I was a 36DD. I requested a full C. I am 5'5"1/2 and weigh 160. I hope that I picked the right size. I am regretting not communicating more with my doctor. I am in shock with the size difference! I feel like I look too small. I am hoping its just cause I am in that surgical bra that smashes you, and because they need to drop some. My concern is are they going to shrink more after the swelling goes down? I've heard different answers on this. Please help!!!!!

Concerned About Breast Size after Breast Reduction?

+2

You should be aware of the following: 

1. It is much too early to evaluate the end results of your breast reduction surgery. It will take several months (and even up to one year) before the breasts reach their “final state”;  you may end up very pleased with the breast size/shape at that time. 

2. It is not unusual for patients to undergo significant/severe emotional ups and downs immediately after any type of body contouring surgery. Again, it will take several months (and even up to one year) for you to physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon to express your questions and concerns.

Judging Breast Reduction results

+2

It is premature to judge the results. Communicate your concerns to your surgeons so he/she can monitor you. However, you should trust your surgeon has acted in your best interests and consistent with your communicated objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Swelling

+2

In general breasts are swollen for some weeks following Breast Reduction and in most tend to be a bit softer and a little smaller. Your plastic surgeon knows best and I would urge you to have regular follow up exams and discussions with your surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast reduction and post-op issues

+2

It is difficult to comment without knowing what you looked  like before and what you look like now. But yes, your breast are possibly pushed in a bit with all the dressing.

Swelling after breast reduction

+2

Thank for the question. The swelling after breast reduction will be more pronounced in the first 3-4 weeks and then it will start yo go down. It usually takes up to 6 months for the swelling to resolve. What you have now is a swollen breast and that most likely will get smaller. What you want to do is address your concern with your plastic surgeon, be patient over the next few months. Follow all your post operative instructions and keep you appointments with your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Shrinking Breast after Reduction

+1

It is unlikely as a patient ages the breast tissue reduces, therefore, if you are under the age of 40 it can occur.

John S. Poser, MD

Breast Reduction Issues

+1

Your breasts will settle and reach their final size between 6 weeks and 6 months after the procedure depending on the surgical technique used.  Statistically the most common complaint after breast reduction is breasts too large rather than breasts too small.  Also, it will approximately take 3 weeks before you psychologically adjust to your new breast size.  Continue to wear a supportive bra, follow up with your surgeon and avoid any premature decisions. 

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction sizing

+1
Four days postop and already worrying about swelling? My big concern in terms of your expectations is that you acknowledge that you are in a compressive surgical bra. Why don't you wait until your sutures are removed and you are wearing a regular bra before rushing to judgment? If your surgery was covered by insurance, it is not simply a matter of picking what size you think you should be. The surgeon must remove the minimum gram weight required by the insurance company or the procedure will be retrospectively denied. Preoperative communication is an essential component of every operation, cosmetic or reconstructive, and it works both ways.

Robert L. Kraft, MD