I Am Breastfeeding. How Long Should I Wait to Get a Reduction After I Stop?

I have been breastfeeding for a year and am going to wean sometime in the next several months. Once that's done, I want a reduction; I'm a 38I and I'm miserable. Can I get one right away, or do I need to give my breasts a break first?

How long after stopping breast feeding can you have breast surgery?

+2

I ask my patients to have completely stopped breast feeding for at least 3 months prior to any breast surgery. If you are still having nipple discharge with minimal manipulation of your breasts, I would have you wait longer. The risk with a breast reduction is that collections of breast milk could pool in the area of surgery causing healing complications. It also allows for any contraction of your tissues to occur yielding a more predictable post-op result.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Breast reduction after breast feeding

+2

I thin you are a good candid for breast reduction surgery, but you have to time it right. Since you are breast feeding now, I would not advise you to get it. You will have to wait at least three months after you stop breast feeding before considering surgery. This will allow time for all the changes to the breast from pregnancy and lactation to go back to prepregnancy state. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast feeding and breast reduction

+2

It is best to wait until the breasts stop lactating and go back down to your previous volume. This may take about 6 months or more after you stop breast feeding.

You need some time

+2

Usually three to six months after breastfeeding you can do a breast reduction. Wear good support bras and get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast reduction after nursing

+2
Typically, patients should wait 3-6 months after weaning before undergoing surgery so that your breasts can return to baseline. Given your current bra size, you will pass the gram weight requirement but should see a plastic surgeon to review the other hurdles that your insurer may throw in your way, in terms of conservative management. This may take some time and you can use the time while continuing to breast feed to fulfill the criteria so you can schedule surgery without further delay.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction after Breast Feeding?

+2

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Ideally you will be as close as possible to your long-term stable weight and  your breasts will have reached a “steady state” after completion of lactation. For most patients  this may require 3 to 6 months after stopping breast feeding.

At least 6 months

+1
Usually, I recommend waiting at least 6 months after you've stopped breastfeeding before pursuing any breast surgery. However, you should ask your surgeon as their guidelines may be different.

Jerome Edelstein, MD