I Am Breastfeeding. How Long Should I Wait to Get a Reduction After I Stop?

I have been breastfeeding for a year and am going to wean sometime in the next several months. Once that's done, I want a reduction; I'm a 38I and I'm miserable. Can I get one right away, or do I need to give my breasts a break first?

Breast reduction after breast feeding

I thin you are a good candid for breast reduction surgery, but you have to time it right. Since you are breast feeding now, I would not advise you to get it. You will have to wait at least three months after you stop breast feeding before considering surgery. This will allow time for all the changes to the breast from pregnancy and lactation to go back to prepregnancy state. 

1001 B Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118

Breast feeding and breast reduction

It is best to wait until the breasts stop lactating and go back down to your previous volume. This may take about 6 months or more after you stop breast feeding.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

You need some time

Usually three to six months after breastfeeding you can do a breast reduction. Wear good support bras and get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Breast reduction after nursing

Typically, patients should wait 3-6 months after weaning before undergoing surgery so that your breasts can return to baseline. Given your current bra size, you will pass the gram weight requirement but should see a plastic surgeon to review the other hurdles that your insurer may throw in your way, in terms of conservative management. This may take some time and you can use the time while continuing to breast feed to fulfill the criteria so you can schedule surgery without further delay.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Breast Reduction after Breast Feeding?

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Ideally you will be as close as possible to your long-term stable weight and  your breasts will have reached a “steady state” after completion of lactation. For most patients  this may require 3 to 6 months after stopping breast feeding.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

At least 6 months

Usually, I recommend waiting at least 6 months after you've stopped breastfeeding before pursuing any breast surgery. However, you should ask your surgeon as their guidelines may be different.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

How long after stopping breast feeding can you have breast surgery?

I ask my patients to have completely stopped breast feeding for at least 3 months prior to any breast surgery. If you are still having nipple discharge with minimal manipulation of your breasts, I would have you wait longer. The risk with a breast reduction is that collections of breast milk could pool in the area of surgery causing healing complications. It also allows for any contraction of your tissues to occur yielding a more predictable post-op result.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

8530 W Sunset Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89113