AFT System Good for Hair Removal?

I am considering Laser Hair removal, and the dermatologist I am planning on seeing uses AFT system. All I could get is that its best for skin rejuvenation. Will it work on olive skin with coarse black hair on the chin for hair removal?

AFT for Laser Hair Removal

+2

AFT uses 650 nm light for hair removal. While we are not intimately familiar with this device, we can tell you that this is not a widely used wavelength for laser hair removal.

The most common types of laser for hair removal are Alexandrite (755 nm), Diode (810 nm) and Nd:Yg (1064 nm). We agree with Dr. Lee that with an olive skinned patient with very coarse hair that the long pulsed Nd:Yg laser is a good option. We would be concerned with the choice of the AFT simply because it is not a well recognized wavelength for hair removal and even if it were, the shorter the wavelength, the higher the risk for darker skin types. Hope this helps and good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/hairremoval.aspx

I don't know the AFT laser, but with darker skin, your best bet is a YAG or Alexandrite laser

+2

Laser hair removal works by heating the pigment being made by the hair follicle so the follicle is destroyed. The risk in darker skin patients is that the pigment in the skin can be heated too, causing the skin to darken in spots or in some cases to burn. The safest lasers to use in darker skin is the YAG or the Alexandrite, and only with a nurse or physician who has alot of experience treating dark skinned patients.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon