How Long After Waxing to Wait Before Having Laser Hair Removal?

I just started laser hair removal, but i am going on vacation in the summer and wanted to wax instead of shave because it lasts much longer. I was wondering if this is going to effect my laser hair treatment when i start it again 2 months after i return from my vacation.

Waxing might change the schedule of your laser hair removal

+2

The hair follicles are sensitive to the hair removal laser only when they are growing hair. The follicles also have to have some hair in them to allow treatment. When you was you pull the hair out of the follicle entirely and restart the hair growth cycle. It is possible that you will not have enough hair to treat 2 months after waxing, but if that is the case, just reschedule your laser appointment.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Going back to laser hair removal after waxing

+2

Typically, we advise that you wait two to four weeks after waxing to begin laser hair removal treatments. The time variation depends on your ethnicity and how fast your hair grows.

While you are on vacation please be generous with your sunscreen (SPF 30) use, as some lasers are not as effective for hair removal on tanned or dark skin.

Relax and enjoy your time off.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Laser hair removal OK two months after waxing

+1

Laser hair removal should not be affected by waxing two months prior.  If you what to wax for the summer, it should be perfectly fine to laser that long after.  Two to four after waxing should be enough time to wait.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Wax Free period before resuming IPL Hair Reducation Treatments

+1

The IPL targets the dark hair follicles of hair in the growth phase. As a result, it will not work when the hair is dormant or the follicle has been altered by waxing. To assure yourself of a good IPL hair reduction result you would need to have as many as possible growing, functioning hair follicles ready to be zapped by the IPL energy WITHOUT an intervening tanned skin which may absorb some of this energy. A 3-4 week interval of leaving the follicles alone before IPL is suggested.

You may resume laser hair removal 2 weeks after waxing.

+1

Laser or IPL permanent hair removal works by heating the bulb of the hair folicle that is deep in the skin. Hair will typically regrow around 2 weeks after waxing, and that's a good time to resume your treatments.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal

+1

It is common to wait two weeks after waxing before laser hair removal to allow the new hair to grow in the hair shaft allowing the pigment of the hair to absorb the laser energy, otherwise there won't be an effect of the treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD