Advantages/Disadvantages of "Early" Facelift?

I am 34 1/2 years old. Although I have a youthful face, I've started to notice marionette lines and the beginnings of jowls. I’ve tried fillers but they don’t correct the problem and make my face look heavy. I want to have a mini facelift and am wondering about advantages/disadvantages of having this procedure at my age? I prefer to take a preventative approach and address issues before they become too big. But will starting early make me look unnatural or create problems later? Thank you

Facelift or Midfacelift for Younger Patients / Marionette Lines

+3

In cases like yours, a midfacelift (often called a minilift) can be a very effective way to address your concerns and provide a more youthful appearance.  Performed properly, there should be essentially no detectable scarring, and in the future will not prevent you from having more work as you continue to get older.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young for facelift?

+3

Marionette lines are not helped by facelift - fillers are best here - but jowls are considerably improved. There is no harm in having an 'early' facelift if definite and long-lasting improvements can be made. It may be repeated several years later without any added problems. As always, consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and make sure he or she is someone you feel comfortable with and will look after you in the long term. Good luck!

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Having a facelift performed early

+2

34 is pretty young to be considering a facelift, but the good news is that there are a number of treatments you can do in the meantime to enhance your appearance. Liposuction of the neck and jowl area is a great option If someone has good elasticity of the skin. Which fillers have you tried for your marionette lines? Perlane and Restylane both work great for that area. Starting early will not necessarily pave the way for future problems, you just may not get the desired benefits from the procedure. But if you have what you describe as a youthful face, I do not believe you would get a benefit at this age. And having work performed when you do not need it would not be considered preventative. Photos would really be necessary to give you the best advice, but I would recommend treating the areas that bother you and waiting a little bit to have more invasive work performed. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Mini facelift

+2

Dear Imarie123,

• You should consider a second opinion if you are not getting the answers/results that you are expecting
  • It is hard to advise you without pictures, maybe the injection were not done correctly
  • A mini facelift would just help tighten a little skin, usually the jowl area

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

+2

I have performed Face Lifts for 25 years and IMHO, if the Face Lift Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attracctive face...there are no disadvantages to having a minimal incision facelift in your thirties to reduce jowls and shape the face.  Hope this helps.

The "Mini" Facelift

+2

Facelifts are not performed at certain ages.  If you have significant jowling that is due to laxity of the facial skin, muscles and ligaments then a facelift may improve the situation.  Secondly, I do not believe in the concept of "mini" facelifts.  Facelifts are operations that treat the three areas of laxity mentioned above.  If you have a mini facelift then expect a mini result.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Early Facelifts

+1

On the whole, I think you will find that most surgeons agree that a face lift performed early in the aging process is better than one performed on a patient with severe skin and drooping fat problems.  Early intervention allows for more natural and longer lasting results.

That said, if you are having very early changes and want to look for some less invasive options that can act as a "bridge" to surgery and put things off a bit, we have found Ultherapy to be great in cases such as the one you describe.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Early Facelifts

+1

One should not perform facelifts unless there is an indication with a combination of both Facial Atrophy with Skin Sagging. Obviously, one can correct facial atrophy or loss of early facial fat with fillers and/or fat before doing a facelift. There is really no advantage of doing an early facelift in your 30’s. However, today, doing a facelift in your early 50’s does give you enhanced longevity and one can enjoy the benefits of having facial rejuvenation from a “Lift & Fill” facelift. This also allows for a more natural, non-operated look.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift at 35 with Early Jowls; Marionette Lines?

+1

Jowling if significant is best treated with a facelift.  Fillers or fat grafting works better with marionette lines or nasolabial folds.

Facelift at 34 years

+1

I think that 34 years of age is rather young for a facelift. Most of the signs of aging you are seeing are normal for your age and can be improved with non-invasive techniques like fillers. The disadvantages of having a facelift at your age are many. First, the risks (scaring/cosmetic imperfections, etc..) do not outweigh the benefits, considering that these can easily be treated non-invasively. Additionally, if you start now, by age 55 you'll probably have had 3 facelifts!

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon