How to Add Dimension to a Flat Face?

How, surgically or non-surgically, can I add dimension to my face. I want to be an actress and it's a very vein profession so I have to look my best thanks!

What makes for a great actress

Although there are facial features that will get you noticed, often the successful actress or model is the one that can express themselves in a most interesting and visible way. This is why the highest paid actresses are not generally the most classically beautiful. The ability to 'act' is much more than that. In fact, current methods of makeup, lighting, and stage preparation are used to correct minor imperfections that you should not worry over.

Voluma and Perlane, and the non-HA fillers, such as Radiesse Plus

Thanks for your question and the photo. You need to make a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn the various treatment options that are available to you. When I look at your picture, I think you would benefit greatly from volume replacement in your cheeks. There are the HA fillers that work well here – Voluma and Perlane, and the non-HA fillers, such as Radiesse Plus (now with lidocaine) and Sculptra. You need to find the right injector – you are young and do not want to look unnatural after having work done – keeping things natural will be the best for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Recontour Face

Adding dimensions to your face is based on an artistic eye and ability to achieve proportionate measurements. You can consider a variety of treatments, although generally fillers are probably the most popular. 

Non-surgical Volume

The best way to add volume to your face is with fillers or Sculptra.  Fillers like Restylane, Voluma, or Juvederm will add volume to your face the same day.  Sculptra gradually has your body produce its own collagen and is a wonderful treatment to add dimension and lasts two years.  For the best results please consult a board certified physician with experience in facial injections.

Voluma will give volume to your mid-face

Thank you for posting a photo. If you feel as though you need volume, I suggest Voluma. This facial filler will instantly restore volume to the cheek area giving you a younger appearance. Please consult with your doctor to determine if you are a candidate.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Adding dimension to the face

There are various options to add dimension to the face.  Non operatively, one can use various fillers, (juvederm, sculptra, restylane, etc).  This is a good place to start.  More invasively, there are facial implants that are put in surgically.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist, (ENT).

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Fillers such as Juvederm & Radiesse as well as Sculptra are a great place to start

There are several good products to add more dimension to the face. Each  has its own characteristics, and is sometimes used in combination with others..

Strictly speaking, Sculptra is not a filler - it stimulates you to produce your own filler (collagen).

We have seen very nice subtle facial enhancements with all of these products.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding facial dimension

Probably the best place to start with improving facial dimension is with the use of fillers such as restylane, perlane, juvederm or radiesse. Injection of these fillers into the cheeks and chin can very much improve upon a flat face. The nice part is that you can go slowly with fillers so that improvements are gradual and not obvious, and if at any point you were not happy with a filler, then there is an antidote (hyaluronidase) for the hyaluronic acid fillers (like juvederm or restylane/perlane). Best to speak with an expert such as  dermatologist who is highly trained in injectable fillers, and appreciates beauty, symmetry and proportions while knowing anatomy to minimize any risks.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for adding dimension to a flat face

There are a number of good options for adding dimension to a flat face.  These include injectable fillers such as hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) as well as other fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra.  One's own fat can be processed and used as a filler as well.  Other surgical options include silastic implants for the cheeks, chin,and nose.  In more extreme cases, the facial bones can be cut and repositioned to change facial dimensions.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fillers Add Dimension to a Flat Face

Adding dimension to a flat face typically is done with fillers as the most common and simplest approach. Choices include a  variety of fillers such as Sculptra, Radiesse, Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, etc). All of these fillers last for 1-3 years and  will give you the ability to judge the improvement with improved dimension and volume achieved in the cheek area, pre-jowl and upper lip.If you like the appearance then I would recommend fat transfer as a more permanent solution.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS