Do Face Exercises to Develop and Create Higher Cheekbones Really Work?

There are several programs like Carole Maggio "Facercise" do they really work? Specially the ones to develop and create higher cheekbones?

Facial exercises for higher cheekbones

+2

As of this writing, our office is unaware of any exercise program that can do this.  If you start on a type of program, please take photos and take copious notes.  You can them judge if there is any benefit.  Typically one needs volume in the area.

+2

Facial exercises, like all muscle exercises, will tone muscles but have limitations.  The Cheeks are aesthetically shaped by the cheek bones, fatty tissue and various facial muscles.  The muscles are only part of the equation and IMHO, if you have flat or concave cheek bones, no amount of facial exercises can or will change that.  The only options are fillers like Perlane and Radiesse or Cheek Implants.  So by all means try the exercises but have realistic expectations.  

Effect of Facial Exercises

+2

If you decide to use facial exercises, please take pictures before starting the program. I have never seen a patient where this has worked nor have I read a scientific study that showed the effectiveness of facial exercises. I would like a picture if you are the first. Higher cheekbones can be achieved with a cheek lift, fillers or fat injections, or the placement of cheek implants.

Higher Cheekbones

+1
Facial exercises with not create higher cheekbones.  Sculptra or Voluma are the best ways to increase the volume in the cheeks and midface, giving you a younger looking appearance.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections to see if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Michele S. Green, MD

Voluma works best for cheek volume

+1
If you are looking for more volume in the mid-face area I recommend learning more about Voluma. This facial filler will volumize your cheeks instantly giving you a younger appearance. Consult with your doctor in order to determine if this is best for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Exercises for a higher cheekbone

+1

In short, the answer is no. The main mass of the cheek is fat, not muscle. If anything, it will cause deflation of the fat and your cheek will diminish in size. You will need filler injections or a cheek lift  or even fat grafts to achieve a larger cheek. Sorry about this bad news.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Muscle enlargement through exercise is for the gym

+1

Thanks for the interesting question.  There will always be someone who thinks they can improve their face by avoiding surgery.  And I salute them and the innovative things they are willing to do.  Ten years ago it was the electrical face stimulator.  Two tiny electrical probes passed a small current through your muscles and supposedly the exercise it produced made the muscles larger.  if that had worked we would all have one in our bathroom.  Watching a video of how to make your muscles bigger is pretty much the same thing.

So this is why you should save your money.  You have 31 muscles in your face most working in harmony with the others. They can go in different directions and work both in harmony or against each other depending on your emotion.  How can you make some of them bigger and others not?  Pretty much impossible unless you are Jim Carey.

What causes wrinkles in the first place?  When our skin thins out with age and sun damage the muscles don't. So a wrinkle is just the pleating of your skin that is connected to the muscle.  Muscles aren't smooth.  Look at any flank steak and you see they are bands of tissue lying in parallel.  Tightening them will only make the wrinkles worse since the chords of muscle will get bigger.

A facelift won't give you higher cheekbones so why would bulking up you muscles be better than surgery?  If it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't.  Try putting your money in the cookie jar and smile each time you do that.  Save your change for something that really works.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Face Exercises to Elevate Cheekbones?

+1
Sorry. While exercise for your body can work wonders, not so for the face. Facial exercises are more likely to incur dynamic activity lines, furrows, and wrinkles! In fact, that's one reason botulinum (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) products have become so popular... They immobilize and relax overly active facial muscles. Elevation or enhanced cheekbones can only occur with implants, fillers, volumizers, fat transfer, or cheeklifting (at present) Limit your workouts to below the neck!

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheekbones are structural; exercise won’t affect them.

+1
The appearance of high cheekbones is a combination of your natural bone structure and the buccal fat pads (soft tissue over the cheeks) as well as the muscles. Less fatty tissue or bone structure that isn’t quite as prominent have a lot more to do with your cheekbone appearance than the muscles. No matter how carefully you tried to exercise just the muscles near your cheeks, I can’t think of an approach that would have a large enough impact to improve the look of the cheekbones. If you want to enhance your facial features, I think dermal fillers offer a great solution for adding more well-defined volume where you need it the most.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon