Can You Get Acupuncture in Forehead After Botox?

I know that most all activities (facials, massage, etc.) can resume to normal, but there is no mention of acupuncture. What are the possible effects of getting acupuncture done in the forehead after having Botox?

Botox and Acupuncture

+2

Botox and Dysport (botulinum neurotoxin type A) reduce wrinkles by the temporary and reversible paralysis of treated muscles. I would recommend against having acupuncture treatments in an area that has been treated with Botox. As Botox diffuses only approximately one square centimeter from the injection site, any other area that has not been treated with Botox should be safe to have acupuncture treatment.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

We really do not understand how acupuncture works.

+2

It is possible that the effects of BOTOX may interfere with the effects of acupuncture.  I recommend that you discuss this with your acupuncturist and see what their experience has been.

Botox and acupuncture

+1

There should be no direct effect on the Botox from acupuncture if the latter is done a day after the Botox injections. However, as it can take two weeks, rarely more, for the effect of Botox to maximize itself, you should wait until that time so as not to confuse the acupuncture as the cause of a less-than-desirable result should it occur.  Once the result of the Botox is mature and satisfactory, then the acupuncture can be done.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It is ok to have Acupuncture and Botox, just note the timing.

+1

This is a good question, I would recommend waiting at least 2-3 weeks after Botox treatment before treating with accupuncture, so that you do not confuse the reactions to treatment.  Even then, I would recommend the accupuncturist stay 1 square cm outside the treatment zone.  I would speak with your accupuncturist about this as well.  Good luck!

Chris Nichols, MD
Tacoma Plastic Surgeon

You can get acupuncture after BOTOX

+1

You can get acupuncture after BOTOX, although it has not been studied.  We have had patients who have had acupuncture after BOTOX without any problems. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Acupuncture

+1

I would not recommend having acupuncture to those areas treated with Botox /Dysport, if it is done on the same day. However, if the acupuncture is performed after your Botox has taken effect (at least 7 days later) there should be no problem.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Can I have acupuncture in forehead after Botox injections

+1

If you are having acupuncture to decrease headaches from trigeminal nerve brances near the eyebrows, then IMHO the Botox maybe helpful as it can relax the surrounding muscles and ease the headaches further.  If you are having the acupuncture for any type of increased muscle function, or tone of the forehead, then the Botox would most likely be contraindicated as it weakens forehead muscle function.  As your acupuncturist.