Should I Go See a Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatologist for my Botox Injection?

I decided to go for my first botox injection. I have decided to stay away from botox party or med spas. I am going to the best plastic surgeon or dermatologist. I wonder which one is better. The surgeon or the dermatologist. thank you in advance. I am in southern california. But I don't mind traveling!

With Botox, experience counts most

+3

The biggest factor when shopping for a Botox treatment is experience.  With experience comes the knowledge of which areas and amounts work best to get a natural-looking result that lasts as long as possible.  Experience should not only be measured in years, but also how regularly it is done by a particular doctor.  In many cases, a board certified plastic surgeon is going to have more experience specifically in aesthetic procedures, however, a very experienced Dermatologist would be a better choice than an inexperienced plastic surgeon.  

Another way to gauge how much experience a doctor or specific practice has is to ask about their Allergan account level.  Allergan is the manufacturer of Botox, and has various levels of accounts by doctor or by practice based on how much Botox they are purchasing.  Levels include silver, gold, platinum, platinum plus, diamond and then black diamond is the highest, meaning they are in the top 1% of injectors nationwide.

After experience comes a good eye.  Just as a dermatologist would have a very developed eye for certain skin abnormalities, a good plastic surgeon will have an artistic eye for what appears natural and what does not when performing Botox and/or injectable filler procedures.

Finally, comfort and price are factors for many.  In my practice, I prefer to use German needles, as they seem to pinch less for my patients.  Also, some doctors sell numbing cream separately and some include it in the price, so be sure to ask if comparing prices between doctors.

Go to the person who can handle the complication- if there is one!

+1

Depending upon the state in which you live there may or may not be state regulations dictating who is allowed to perform cosmetic injections of botulinum toxin or filler.  State regulations aside, theoretically, any person can perform any procedure, however....is the person who is performing your treatment able to handle any and all possible complications of that procedure?  These are medical procedures, and all other considerations aside, if you care about your appearance you should see an expert.  Dermatologists and plastic surgeons along with facial plastic surgeons and some other core specialists may be more than able to treat your wrinkles and help you to look your best!

H.L. Greenberg, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologic Surgeon

Who is best to do Botox injection?

+1

The most important thing is experiences by a board certified physician.  Both plastic surgeons and dermatologists are capable of performing the injections.  Make sure you select a physician who is a member of the safeandethicaldoctors to do your treatment.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Who is qualified to administer Botox

+1

Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are qualified to administer Botox.  The important thing is to choose a physician who has experience perfoming this procedure.  I do applaud you for realizing the benefits of choosing a physician over a medi-spa or Botox parties.  Despite its excellent safety profile,  Botox is a medical procedure and  should be viewed as such. When seeking out a cosmetic services one should realize the downsides of a poorly performed procedure are  far above the financial savings achieved by these medi-spas.  Finally, one wants to be certain as to the qualificatons of the person performing the injections, which is best achieved in an office setting of a board certified physician.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Either is fine, experience is the key

+1

You can see either a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. What is most important is the level of experience the physician has with the product.  This will allow you to achieve the best and most natural looking results, and to avoid any complications.  You could also consider going to see a doctor who is a trainer for Botox (ie teaches other doctors how to inject).  I am a trainer in Beverly Hills if you are interested

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Who should perform Botox treatments?

+1

Typically, the most appropriate cosmetic surgeons for Botox treatments are Board certified Dermatologists, Opthalmologists, and plastic surgeons.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can be done equally well by plastic surgeons and dermatologists

+1

You should go to the most experienced Botox injector for your treatment, whether it's a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist. Both types of physicians typically have a vast experience with the product and know how much and where to inject. As long as your doctor is board certified, you should be in good hands.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

See a specialist that you are comfortable with

+1

The best recommendation I can give is you go to a cosmetic doctor or dermatologist, someone who understands what results can be achieved and what esthetic beauty is. That being said, when you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist who you trust. If you are looking for one, talk to your friends, meet a few and then decide. Only have a treatment done when you are fully comfortable. They will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget).

At the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the consultation fee from any appointment booked, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermatologists vs Plastic Surgeons for Botox Injections

+1

Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are skin specialists so how to decide? The experience of the physician and your personal doctor-patient relationship are the most important factors in your decision, not which of these two specialties they are in. In response to the insulting and self-serving comments made by some of the plastic surgeons suggesting they are the better choice, I would like to repeat a comment made to me by one of my "very experienced" Botox patients. She said, "Every time I have a plastic surgeon do my Botox injections, I get significant bruising. Every time I have a dermatologist do my Botox injections, I have no bruising." I would also like to point out that Botox as a treatment for cosmetic use was developed by two physicians: a dermatologist and an ophthalmologist.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for Botox?

+1

Hi Ms. Shizuka.  Ultimately, it does not matter which specialty you choose as long as you are happy with the results.  We always say training not title when we are speaking with consumers about how to choose a practitioner.  Any good injector, plastic or derm, will have spent the time to understand facial musculature well and have also spent the time learning and perfecting sound injection techniques.

Find a physician that you are comfortable with, preferably one you are referred to by a friend or relative.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD