2 Weeks Post-Op TT, What Can I do to Slow Down Drainage?

Had tummy tuck 15 days ago, still draining 75cc a day of blood colored liquid. I have recovered nicely so I have resumed normal activity, ie, driving, shopping, working at my desk job...nothing strenuous. Would bedrest help my drainage slow down? I started driving and going out on short trips to store about 4 days after surgery. Also, would limiting my fluid intake help slow it down? I really want this drain out and I am concerned that it is still so deeply blood colored.

Tummy tuck drain outputs.

+1

For my patients, we use a compression garment and encourage an increase in their protein intake. Tummy tuck drains can take up to 4 weeks before they are ready to be removed. The bloody staining of the fluid is normal, and this should continue to lighten.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to slow drainage following Tummy Tuck?

+1

My patients are asked to keep wearing their compression garment and be sensitble about their activities.  You want to heal properly, and while we want you up and moving about, you must still limit your activities for a period of time.  Talk to your plastic surgeon to get his/her advice on your activity levels and how long they would like to see you wear your compression garment.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck drainage

+1

Drainage after tummy tuck can be a very annoying situation for people. Unfortunately, you cannot control it. Limiting your fluid intact and bed rest is not recommended. My patients are asked to wear their postop garment and limit their activities during the healing period. The body needs to heal prior to resuming normal activity. Resuming normal activities during the healing period may increase drainage if the tissues have not healed together. Your Plastic Surgeon should be able to explain this to you. Its great that you are healing well, but you may be doing too much soon after your surgery. Make sure to check in with your Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck

Stanley Okoro, MD

Significant drainage 2 weeks s/p tummy tuck

+1

Even though 75cc per 24 hrs coming out of your drain at 2 weeks is still a lot, it isn't an abnormal or concerning level. Unfortunately, there is nothing really that you can or should do to help rapidly decrease the drainage and bed rest is an imprudent choice. You can be active but not very vigorous. Discuss particulars with your surgeon as he/she was the person who operated on you.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

What to do about drainage.

+1

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to make the drainage decrease.  In theory, bed rest would minimally decrease lymphatic flow and drainage, but it is not recommended.  Bed rest increases the risks of other complications such as blood clots and pneumonia.  Light activity without exercise is a normal recommendation after tummy tuck.

Do not limit fluid intake and follow the post operative instructions of your surgeon.  The drainage will lighten   and decrease on its own when it is ready.  Check in with your doctor for reassurance .

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Drainage after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Given that you are not doing a thing “strenuous”,  there is not much you can do to decrease the drain output. Possibly decreasing your “normal activity”  such as driving and  shopping  may be helpful.  Bed rest will not necessarily decrease output  If you are otherwise taking it easy.

Drain output should slowly become more serous (yellow color),  unless you have had a hematoma which may take a longer period of time to drain. Given your concerns frequent follow-up with your plastic surgeon may be helpful.