2 Weeks Post Full Tummy Tuck, Do I Have Dog Ears? (photo)

Well tomorrow i will be 2 weeks post full tummy tuck.Im a little worried...just wanna know if its normal as my PS is out of town for the holidays wont see her back intill jan...First all im pretty sure i have dog ears..Wondering if i will have to cover the cost to fix that/? my ps didnt do lipo said i didnt need it..Also im able to sleep on my side an stand up just fine an bend over just fine no with no pain is this normal...over all how would you rate my tummy tuck 1-10 thank u so much

Dog ears after abdominoplasty/tummy tuck

+4

Your results look good for two weeks out, but it is hard to grade the result with no preoperative photos. 

There will always be some fullness and swelling above the incision for a few months after tummy tuck,  as the drainage from the upper abdomen into the groin is interrupted by the incision. This will resolve over time. 

You may have a small bulge laterally on the right side, but there is a good chance it will resolve over time. At worst case, it will be very small, if at all long term. I certainly wouldn't worry about it at such an early stage of recovery. 

Most plastic surgeons would do a touch up to take out any irregularity at minimal to no cost, but they all have individual policies that should be discussed. Most plastic surgeons just want their patients to be happy as that is a win win situation. Such minor touch ups would be in the best interest of both parties to be taken care of, but in your case, I am not sure that will be necessary. 

You have to do the hardest thing for us all...be patient. 

Good luck. 

Jay

2 Weeks Post Full Tummy Tuck, Do I Have Dog Ears?

+3

Too early to tell! I usually tell my patients to wait at least 6 months and then if still present, I trim them out in the office under local anesthesia at no charge. And without seeing your "before" pics, I think you look great!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck dogear

+3

it is too early to be concerned. you are still swollen and things do take time to heal. there is a little asymetry, but that will probably settle.  relax it looks good.  see him when he gets back.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck

+3

At 2 weeks, it si hard to say of you will have dog ears since swelling is present. Most plastic surgeons will offer a touch up if needed but this would be in a few months. So far, your results look good.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Dog ears after tummy tuck? Probably not!

+3

At 2 weeks post-op, you are still swollen, and where the incision stops on the sides is where the skin has its full "capacity" to absorb swelling. In the center of your abdominal incision (just above your pubic region), the most skin was removed, and this is the tightest area of your closure. On the side where the top and bottom incisions meet and stop, this is the area of most remaining laxity. The areas of slight protrusion are certain to diminish over time--the only question is whether or not they will resolve completely, or if small or tiny dog ears remain.

The longer you wait, and the longer the residual swelling has to reabsorb, the less these "dog-ears" will protrude.

Of course, your surgeon could have continued excising skin all around the abdomen to the hips, thighs, and buttocks, but then this would have been a lower body lift or belt lift!

If any slight contour irregularities remain after 3-6 months, your surgeon can easily excise them under local anesthesia. No big deal, minimal to no cost (discuss with your surgeon), usually works very well to "fix" the concern!

Assuming you chose to have a high lateral incision placement (some patients nowadays are choosing lower flatter incisions to allow low-riding hip hugger jeans or slacks not show the scars), this is a nice result. Keep your scars out of any ultraviolet exposure (including tanning beds) for 6-12 months to avoid permanent brown discoloration. For examples of my tummy tuck patients with differing degrees of healing and scar maturation, click on the link below. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Do I have Dog Ears After My Tummy Tuck?

+3

Dear Mrslynn30,  At two weeks, it is far too early to determine the final results of your tummy tuck.  Also, without before photos, there is no way to judge the success of your result.  While you do have some swelling over the hips, which is normal at two weeks, there does not appear to be an excess of skin which is the primary cause of a dog ear deformity.  Also, the timing for the ability to stand up straight and to lay on one's side varies from patient to patient and is not a good measure of the quality of a procedure.  Two weeks is a short time after your surgery so I would suggest a bit of patience before judging your final result.  From what I can tell, it appears you will have a nice result.  I hope this helps you have a happy holiday season.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At 2 weeks postop tummy tuck surgery you are much too early to be evaluating the results of surgery. Although I see some fullness along each flank area  I do not see any “dog ears". The fullness in this area may simply be related to swelling which will take months to dissipate.

Overall, I think you will have a very nice result  with your surgery.

Concerns about dog ears at 2 weeks postoperative tummy tuck

+2

You still have a lot of swelling at 2 weeks postoperatively so that it is too early to definitively determine whether or not you have dog ears. Based on the limited resolution photos that you have provided, it does not appear that you necessarily do.

Be patient and wait at least 6 months as you will have a more accurate idea at that time. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Dog ears after tummy tuck

+2

A challenge in tummy tuck is avoiding a 'dog ear' or extra skin on the incision end, and keeping the incision shorter and low under your jeans. Small dog ears will sort themselves out over time and we can be rewarded for not 'chasing the scar' too far out to side. Wait things out for a time.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Dog ears 2 weeks after TT

+2

So far  - so good. You can't tell yet whether or not you have dog ears. Too much swelling. Be patient. It takes three months for the swelling to go away.

Ronald Schuster, MD