Drain Still in and Draining Mostly Blood 14 Days After Tummy Tuck, Should I be Concerned?

I had tummy tuck and breast lift/augment surgery 14 days ago. Recovery has gone great except my drain in abdomen is still putting out 75 cc a day or more and it's still very bloody looking. I can't say that i have seen a change in the red color since we started this journey. I understand this drainage color is related to the stage of recovery of the site. I am concerned that something may be wrong. I saw my surgeon 4 days ago and she did not seem overly concerned, but I am a little.

Relatively high drainage levels through tubes 2 weeks after tummy tuck

+2

Drain tubes can be left in for several weeks and I have seen this. Though 75cc/24 hrs is high, it is not necessarily representative of a problem. Is the blood a light or dark red? Are there clots? Is it decreasing somewhat? Is the color lightening up to some extent over time?

Answers to these questions are important. They can also help determine if you have active bleeding or even an "old" hematoma that is dissolving.

Keep in close follow up with your plastic surgeon. 

Draing after tummy tuck

+2

a little bit of blood can make drainage fluid appear quite red. drainage after 2 weeks is not the norm .but can happen without it being alarming. why dont you check your blood count and see where you stand.  i would rather have the drains in too long than too short. aspiration later on is an irritation to everybody involved.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Bloody drainage after tummy tuck

+2
This is a high drain output for 2 weeks postop but would not be unprecedented. You may be draining a hematoma but, because there is a concern about continued bleeding, you should see your plastic surgeon in followup and inquire about the color of the drainage and the expectation for removal of the drains.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bloody Drainage

+2

You may have had a hematoma that is now liquefying and coming out of the drain.  This tends to look a deep red or brown color, not bright red which would indicate active bleeding.  Continue to be seen by your surgeon.

Donald Griffin, MD

+2

The issue is "bloody looking". Is it BRIGHT RED or is it darker more liquid? Are there clots? These are questions and in person observations that I make to determine if you are bleeding. Best to be seen more often by your chosen surgeon. 

Continued Drainage After Tummy Tuck?

+2

Although the drain output is still somewhat high 2 weeks after surgery it is not necessarily alarming unless there is active bleeding present.

I am glad you are following up closely with your surgeon because she is in the best position to evaluate the consistency and amount of drainage. Her advice and/or reassurance will be much more precise than that provided by online consultants.

Don't hesitate to address your questions and concerns with her.

Is Draining Excessive Following Tummy Tuck

+1

It's not unusual to have the drains in place after two weeks. Usually the fluid is blood tinged and not pure blood. I would have another followup with your surgeon, who is in the best position to determine whether there is anything to be concerned about.  She can look for potential problems.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon