Accidently Hitting my Nose While Sleeping After Rhinoplasty?

Today I was stretching while still being half asleep and I accidently tapped my nose with my hand and it cause pain. It is about to be two weeks after rhinoplasty. This has happened to me twice. I try not to have this happen, but when I'm asleep I can't control it. I'm worry it will damage my new nose and won't see the results I expensively paid for!

Injuring the nose shortly after rhinoplasty

Patienst worry about accidently hiting their nose after surgery and causing damage. Surgeons constantly warn patients to be especially careful the first month. The nose is bumped realatively often, maybe as high as 10% of the time in my experience. However I can recall only 3 times over the last 25 years where the injury clearly negatively affected the outcome. And with each case, the injury was very significant and not just a little tap or bump. Having said that, people still need to be careful and protect their nose from accidental injuries.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

2349 Queen Street East
Toronto , ON M4E1H2

Accidentally hitting nose after surgery

It would take a lot more force than you probalbly did to affect the result of your rhinoplasty.  The nose is very sensitive after surgery and the discomfort is out of proportion to the trauma.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

While the nose should not be hit or bumped following a Rhinoplasty, minor incidence of this would most likely not create any movement of Rhinoplasty tissues.  If you're concerned you might want to contact your Rhinoplasty Surgeon and have your nose examined to rule out any trauma.  

I have over the past 2 decades had Rhinoplasty Patients that have been hit by horses, all manner of balls, fists, children's heads and who knows what.  The bottom line is whether the incident shifted nasal bones or cracked nasal cartilages that may require Revision Rhinoplasty, at six months, to repair the damage.  

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Inadvertent Injury to the Nose Following Rhinoplasty

I have heard this same story on many occasions over the years. You really do need to be more cautious as even slight trauma to certain noses can be quite detrimental to the final result. Check with your rhinoplasty surgeon to make sure nothing significant was done from the inadvertent injury.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

3720 Fourth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103

Accidently Hittling Nose When Sleeping

Hi New Happy Nose,

Cut it out!  Stop hitting that nice new nose of yours!  If you hit it hard enough, that's what revision rhinoplasty is for!

Kidding aside, unless you can see or feel a deformity in your nose after your nocturnal self-induced traumas, you should have no worries.  If you do, see your rhinoplasty surgeon

As for the "expensively paid for nose", it seems that in your case you got what you paid for.  Enjoy your new beautiful nose.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

16311 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91436

Rhinoplasty and accidentally hitting nose

It is doubtful that you hit your nose so hard while you were asleep. It is common for the nose to be sore after surgery. 

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Hitting Nose After Rhinoplasty

Hitting your nose while asleep likely had no ill effects on your rhinoplasty.  If your nose looks different or you have any concerns, just ask your plastic surgeon.  This is always much easier than worrying about it.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210