A White Stich Poking out of my Tummy Tuck Incision, is This Bad?

I had a full tummy tuck 27 days ago and today I noticed a white, fabric like stich coming out of my incision. I try to pull it out and could not do it because it is too strong and am afraid to cause damage to my incision. I will make an appointment with my plastic surgeon to see him as soon as possible but I am scare that something is wrong. Is this normal or this will cause my scar to get infected or widen? : (

Sutures

+2

This is nothing to be scared of and it happens commenly.  It is a deep stich that sometimes pocks out throught the skin and your surgeon can help you take care of it.

Suture exposure

+2

This is most likely a deep suture that has worked to the surface.  Your surgeon can easily remove it or trim it.  It should not affect your result.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Suture spitting?

+2

Don't worry - it does not sound as if anything is wrong. It is likely a suture that needs trimming.   You are doing the right thing - followup with your PS.  They can easily take care of this.   Relax, follow your PS's postoperative care instructions and see your PS as scheduled.  I'm sure you'll love your results once you are all healed up.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Is This Bad?

+2

No!  Most sutures used will dissolve anyway, and any permanent suture has largely done its task by one month. It is most unlikely that any of your concerns will come to pass. Your surgeon will probably remove the suture with the aid of some local anesthetic if the area is not already numb from the surgery.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Stitch Poking out of Tummy Tuck Incision?

+2

What you are  seeing/feeling is probably an absorbable stitch or staple. You are probably best off leaving it alone until you are seen by your plastic surgeon. These issues are usually self limited and do not necessarily cause any long-term issues/ complications.